1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife invading my TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timckelley, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Aug 1, 2006 #1 of 33
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You might remember a long thread I started a couple of years ago, called "Wife won't delete recordings". I think it got archived, which is why I started a new thread.

To summarize, my wife gets way more backlogged than I do, and she has a problem filling up the hard drive with KUID recordings. As a result I bought a second TiVo, so we each have our own. I had laid down ground rules that if she ever records onto my TiVo, I have the right to change her stuff to KUSN, and all my stuff to KUID. I normally just keep everything as KUSN on my TiVo.

Over the last few months, over a gradual process more and more stuff has crept into my NP list. At first it was an hour or two, then several hours, and now it's 10 or 20 hours worth of stuff.

To be fair, she is leaving all her stuff as KUSN, but it still kind of bothers me because it cuts down on my suggestion list. The shorter the list of suggestions, the less likely there will be one that I like. I've told her this, and she keeps saying that she'll clear her stuff out, but I'll see how that goes.

I guess I'm not really asking you for a solution to my problem, because whenever I try to lay down the law on my TiVo, it causes bickering and short tempers, but to be fair, I guess she's living under my ground rules, because her stuff is KUSN on my TiVo. (Well, techincally not, as 2 or 3 hours of her stuff is KUID on my TiVo. :eek: ) I guess I just really posted this as an update on my other thread.

I told her, btw, that maybe I should upgrade her TiVo. Her TiVo is only an 80 hour TiVo, and mine is somewhere around 105 or 110 hours (used to be 194 hours, but one of the drives went bad and I replaced it with a measly 20 G drive I happened to have lying around the house.) She doesn't want me to do it yet, but I suppose if my space gets too much smaller I might raise the priority of this project.

I'm always hopelessly backlogged with house projects though (much more so than is my NP list :eek: ), and when I repaired my TiVo it took me 3 days to do it, because I found the Hinsdale instructions so confusing. Hopefully now that I've done it, next time won't be so hard.

I'd consider trading TiVos, but mine is series one and hers is series two. She really needs the undelete function much more than I, and she also really likes the folders feature which I don't have.

2. Aug 1, 2006 #2 of 33
    TivoZorro

TivoZorro New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Pinehurst,...
    If it were me I would invest in an external hard drive (200 GB) and enable TivoToGo and install Tivo Desktop on my computer. When her Series 2 Tivo became almost full I would start pulling off her shows to the laptop and then to the external hard drive. I would then tell her that I would transfer them back for her when she was ready to watch them or show her how to do it. I would be firm about not letting her use your Tivo. She should respect what is yours.

3. Aug 1, 2006 #3 of 33
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's a neat idea. I wonder how much external hard drives cost.

Actually, I have two desktop PCs in my house; no laptops. (I've never owned a laptop.) I'm very familiar with installing internal hard drives, so maybe it'd be cheaper to install a second internal hard drive in one of the desktop PCs and then dedicate that drive to hold her overflow recordings. I do have a home network setup (one PC is hardwired; the other is wireless connected). But neither of my TiVos is connected to the network. I don't think hers is near a cat5 outlet, so I suppose I'd need to buy a wireless adapter to get her TiVo hooked up. This sounds like a good idea.

Of course, if I buy another hard drive, I could just install it in the TiVo itself, but I see a couple of disadvantages to that strategy:

1) The series 2, IIRC, has trouble powering two hard drives, and I think weaknees sells some kind of staggered poweringup device. Also, the TiVo would need more cooling with 2 drives in it.

2) By offloading some shows to a PC instead of upgrading her TiVo, it would give her incentive to make room on her TiVo so that she can move her shows back to it. Extra space on her TiVo, and she might just simply fill it up and still move on to my TiVo..

4. Aug 1, 2006 #4 of 33
    PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    If the drive you are adding is around 120GB or less, can't you still use BlessTiVo? That's 1 command and not confusing at all. (I don't have any Series 2s, so maybe you can't.)

Bottom line, she needs a space increase on the TiVo itself. No need to hassle her with TiVoToGo. She won't buy in and it will be a fight all the way.

5. Aug 1, 2006 #5 of 33
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles

Nope, the old thread is still active.

I knew this was going to be an issue once you started letting her record her stuff on your TiVo.

You're only allowing her to dig an even bigger hole than she's already done.

6. Aug 1, 2006 #6 of 33
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    You have to be the dominant one in your relationship. You need to use calm, assertive energy to let her know that her TiVo-hogging behavior is unwanted by you. Then, when she's in a calm, submissive state of mind, you can reward her with affection. Then tell her to get in the kitchen and make you some pie.

7. Aug 1, 2006 #7 of 33
    Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town

Please post a video of this so we can watch. :D

8. Aug 2, 2006 #8 of 33
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Far more simple a solution.

Move to Stepford.

9. Aug 2, 2006 #9 of 33
    BillyT2002

BillyT2002 Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Oct 19, 2002
    Waterville, ME
    I have rigged my TIVO to blow up a small thermonuclear device, if anything related to home and garden, Oprah, Dr. Phil or other female genre type shows are either requested or thumbed-up on my TIVO. I have told her and she knows it. She has thus far left it alone. She has her own TIVO, but she knows mine is off limits. ;)

10. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Can this be purchased? I'd like to place an order! STAT!

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Wow, I couldn't use an 80 hour TiVo myself. 250-300gb drives go for $70-$80. I find with a DT unit and 300 hours, people in the house are happier with the TiVo. When the wife has the last 30 episodes of Ellen, there's less time for her to mess something up.

12. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Another solution - Tell her to stop putting stuff on your TiVo and quit whining to us about the issue.

13. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You might want to learn some tact. As I said, I'm not asking for solutions - I mostly posted this for entertainment value. BTW, I've already tried your 'solution'. It didn't work.

14. andydumi

andydumi Fish. Butt.

Jun 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Upgrade hers, thats what i had to do with our Tivo which is mostly wife controlled. I made it a 250gb drive and now i actually have room to record my 3-4 hour Formula 1 every other week without having her hound me to watch it and clear it out within a couple days.

15. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Now that I have a 'recently deleted' folder I can see just how often 'The View' is recorded! I never noticed before because it was recorded and deleted before I got home.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!!

16. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX

This may be a good idea. My only other experience with installing a new HD is when my series 1 TiVo sprouted a bad drive. But in that case, I didn't mind losing all my settings, NP list, SP list, etc... I restarted fresh. Fortunately I had no backlog when that happened.

I wonder if installing a new drive in the series 2 is much more complicated, if I want to preserve all her settings and NP list that's on it. Plus, from what I've read, series 2 need extra cooling when you put a second drive in it, because the the case is so small.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

well with Kidzone now out - how about going to back to my old suggestion but with a twist that Kidzone adds. activate kidzone and keep the code to yourself.
    Now in this case you set the ratings to include everything and hide nothing, unless you want to hide something ;)

That way she can watch any show on your TiVo without having to get you but she can not delete any show nor can she add anything unless she asks you and you agree to do it.

PS - I have a DT and 500gig hard drive on their way to me. I think you and your wife would benefit from such an upgrade as well.

18. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Tim, I've only upgraded my S1 but I have read some of the notes on upgrading S2s. (On slow-forum days I read a lot of stuff just because....)

There's a connector in the S2 that you have to pay careful attention to when you do an S2 upgrade. Be on the lookout for a thread that has a title like "Read this before upgrading your Series 2".

If you are concerned about adding a second drive, what about getting one big new one? (Of course, then you'd have to deal with copying and transferrring all the stuff she has now.)

Or what about this: Get a third big S2 TiVo, let her transfer all her old recordings off to the big one via MRV, and then the 80 hour S2 can be for the programs you both watch. :D

Jan

19. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That would certainly be the deluxe solution, but then I'd have to start paying a monthly fee. (Both our TiVos are lifetime, and liftetime is gone now except for those of us that have it already.)

I like the suggestion of replacing the 80G drive with a really big one. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to beef up the cooling system or the power supply if I go that route, right?

I mainly then need to figure out how to transfer the old shows to the new drive so she doesn't lose them. I suppose I can revisit the Hinsdale instructions to see if I can figure that out. I was really happy with the help I got on the Upgrade Forum when I fixed my series 1. The Hinsdale Instructions were not all that easy for me to figure out, but the guys in the forum coached me through the whole process until I had success.

I suppose if I replace the HD, I could install the old HD in one of my desktop computers, and then maybe if we want to start using TiVo2GO, that harddrive could be a nice media to hold our offloaded shows. :cool:

20. Mamoth

Mamoth New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    I divorced my wife for telling me she'd do things and then she would never follow through. :) Well, that wasn't the only reason... but you get the picture :)

Be more dominate and just delete those suckers. She'll get the hint ;)