1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would I ever let Tivo Suggestions change my channel?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dr.Empirical, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1 of 52
    Dr.Empirical

Dr.Empirical New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Occasionally, I'll be watching live TV and Tivo will ask permission to change the channel to record a Tivo suggestion. Why would I want to do that? I'm watching something!

The answer to that question will ALWAYS be "No!" How can I get Tivo to stop interrupting my shows without turning off Tivo Suggestions altogether?

2. Nov 6, 2011 #2 of 52
    SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    How is TiVo supposed to know you are watching something? If the answer is ALWAYS "No!" Suggestions would never record.

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 52
    ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Warren, MI
    You can turn off suggestions.

Navigate to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Recording > TiVo Suggestions.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 52
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not asking you because it expects you to answer NO, it asks because it's assuming no one is watching and the answer is "YES change the channel" but it wants to be safe.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #5 of 52
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    then you get both worlds

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 52
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Yep, that's the safety mechanism that keeps it from changing the channel in the middle of your show. You could turn off suggestions if you don't like being disturbed but then you would never see the new shows that match your regular viewing. I like the suggestions personally...

7. Nov 6, 2011 #7 of 52
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You obviously aren't using your tivo correctly. If you ff through commercials, the Tivo wouldn't ask because it would know you are watching something. It's the lack of remote control activity that tells the tivo that it's not in use for live tv viewing and a suggestion can be recorded, but it plays it safe by asking.

8. Nov 6, 2011 #8 of 52
    tivohaydon

tivohaydon New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    With HDMI connected sets it could easily not record suggestions if the TV was on and you were using a tuner for live TV.

But, of course TiVo stopped implementing nice new features that help the viewer long ago.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 52
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So the TiVo is supposed to assume that just because you are watching live TV, you don't want to record the suggestion. GMAB. Just turn off suggestions. I do. I'm backed up enough on my viewing w/o the TiVo adding to it.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If it so easy, go ahead and write the code and send it to TiVo. I don't know it is easy for the TiVo to communicate with the display or if all displays can communicate with TiVo, some older displays with HDMI are not able to communicate well at all and relying on that ability will likely leave some TiVos working as wanted, others not.

This issue is a non-issue in any event, turn of suggestions if you will never want TiVo to change the channel to record suggestions.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I never have this come up, as I never watch live tv. Even sporting events are worth recording and joining in progress.

If you think through the scenarios that apply to the most users, not just yourself, the popup is the least intrusive. If you want to avoid it, just hit record and it will not record any suggestions during the show.

12. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Bi-directional communications via HDMI works great... if you have a set made in the last 2-3 years that doesn't go through any switch that might strip out the data, convert the signal to DVI or use an HDCP striping adapter or anything like that.

So, yeah, I am sure roughly 10% of TiVo users would enjoy that feature. Maybe we should have them devote all of their time to that. That seems productive.

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Program for the future and for the common case. If most new TVs will have the bidirectional communication ability, and most users will connect the Tivo directly to the TV, then it makes sense for Tivo to be implementing that feature.

It'd have an added side effect of being able to save power when the TV is not on to stop needless buffering.

14. Krandor

Krandor Member

Jun 9, 2004
    How would that work if the HDMI cable went to an AVR and then from the AVR to the TV? Would it see the AVR as "TV on" and not record suggestions.

15. Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    One option: I have Record Suggestions turned off. But every once in a while I check the list of Tivo Suggestions in the Find Programs menu to see if anything looks interesting. If I see something, I tell Tivo to record it.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

As it is now Tivo asks if you want it to change the channel to record a suggestion because you may or may not actually be watching live TV.
    How would this HDMI method be any different? A TV that is powered on is not necessarily being watched so the Tivo would still play it safe and ask.

17. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Isn't there some way the software could record the fact that you have actively put the unit on the channel its on and that you are actually watching it? Obviously it doesn't have eyes and doesn't know that you are sitting there on the couch with eyeballs on the screen but you have handled the remote and have selected the channel. There should be a way to design the software so that it only recommends Tivo suggestion if there has been no input from the remote in the past hour or so. If it doesn't know you are watching something already then why does it ask? If it does know you are watching something it should leave you alone.

I agree with the OP. Why would you ever want Tivo to switch the channel when you are already watching something? It really is annoying. Especially if you get up to use the bathroom and you come back to find the channel has been changed but don't realize it for a bit because there are commercials on. It's enough of an annoyance that I may just turn off suggestions completely if there is no other solution. It seems like a pretty easy software fix though if the tivo people had any desire to do so.

18. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    This makes no sense. Read the other posts that already describe this. It does not know if you are watching the tuners live.

I want my tivo pulling in suggestions, the more I have the more I have to choose from, even if I delete them (after providing thumbs).

If you care, either turn off suggestions or just watch live tv through the tv tuner. Or, just record the thing you are watching.

How often do people on this board, or with a tivo at all, ever watch live tv? Why? (I get it with groups and sporting events, but if alone, why not record the game, watch something else, and then skip the commercials/halftime junk).

19. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    This is just one of many issues people whine about here. They will claim it is easy for TiVo to develop software that will enable the DVR to know the TV is on and should stay on that channel without asking. It should be possible with HDMI connection according to them, obviously component or any other connection isn't possible so it is a feature if possible at all, that won't work for everyone to begin with. I have seen the complaints before but I don't think it would be a very easy feature to implement at all and I don't think we will ever see it. I would just turn of suggestions if being asked annoyed me.

20. macgyver58

macgyver58 New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    OK cut the crap. What a bunch of knuckleheads. What i asked was a simple question. The tivo responds to the remote. Seriously , how hard would it be to write into the software a timer that resets everytime the remote is used for anything?? Pretty simple stuff actually. The owner could then set the Tivo not to send any channel requests for Tivo suggestions if the remote had been used in the past 15, 30 60 minutes or however you want to set it.

This isnt rocket science guys. Chill out a bit.