1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would anyone buy a new Premiere 4 over a Roamio Base right now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Loach, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    With the introduction of the Roamio series, I was thinking I might try to scoop up a good deal on Premiere 4 to complete my whole-home solution (I currently have a 2TB upgraded P4 and 2 Minis). But right now the P4 is $191.42 at Amazon, and I can get a base Roamio from Weaknees for $189 with a coupon code.

The only thing the P4 has that the Roamio base doesn't (that I can think of) is built-in MoCA. So OK, if you need that it's worth maybe $50 in savings on a MoCA adapter (not worth much to me as I have both Cat 5e and Coax available at the location the new DVR would go). Anything else I'm missing? And with the base Roamio, I also retain the option of switching to OTA at some point (unlikely for me but you never know).

I did see the Woot deal for a P4/Stream bundle for $150, but I don't need the Stream and I'm a little lazy about selling things on Ebay, so the bundle isn't much good to me. So why would I not go with the newer technology?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't think anyone would. That's why TiVo has discontinued them.

If you wanted a bundle, you could order a base Roamio + Stream on tivo.com and use the "GROUPER" code to get the Stream for free.

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I think the GROUPER code was turned off a day or so ago...

4. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    1. Cheapskates
    2. People who like Tivo DVR functionality who are blessed with an abundance of patience
    3. Masochists

5. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I understand that they're discontinued - just surprised I'm not seeing much in the way of clearance pricing on them.

6. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I hope a lot of people want them. My Premiere 4 is going on ebay soon.

7. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    If they turn it back on, I think I'm ordering.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A base P4 with no lifetime is going to have very little value. Maybe $100. With lifetime you should be able to get about $500. We'll probably even see a point where a 2 tuner Premiere is worth more then a 4 tuner unit because they are the last units to support analog and simultanious cable and OTA. The P4 does nothing the Roamio doesn't and is better in every way.

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I had posted in another thread that the 2 tuner Premieres on Ebay with no subscription are going for as little as $22.50 up to $50, depending on shipping if its free or not, and if they have lifetime they are holding steady between $350 to $450+ depending on what comes with it (wireless adapter, upgraded drive, dvr expander etc) and the 4 tuner models people seem to be passing them over from what I can see, unless they have lifetime on them. The resellers on there havent really lowered their prices yet. I'm sure as time goes on this will change. Kinda hit and miss at this point.

10. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Perhaps there are people who will, but no way would I pay $500 for a used P4 w/Lifetime when I can get a new base Roamio with lifetime for $589. Not even sure I'd pay $500 for a new lifetime P4 at this point.

Good point about why the 2-tuner Premieres may be holding their value - OTA flexibility.

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    If someone wants the ability to tune or record both OTA and Cable SIMULTANEOUSLY. The Roamio can only tune to ONE or the OTHER for all 4 tuners, and the Plus and Pro have no OTA capability. So this does leave legacy TiVo's with one advantage to the Roamio line that some may still desire. Of course, Premier 4 tuners and XL4 (or Elite or whatever) are cable only.