1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why so difficult to use TIVO with Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DOBE, Jun 14, 2013.

1. DOBE

DOBE New Member

May 8, 2004
    The answers to my question must be in FAQ but I can't find the information.

I'm considering leaving DISH to go to Xfinity/Comcast. I want the Premiere XL4 because Comcast DVR's are way behind the times. I'm in Sacramento. I called Comcast and they said TIVO is not compatible with the their system. From what I can tell from reading, that not true.

Is there somewhere I can find the steps needed to use TIVO with Comcast. Obviously, Comcast needs to cooperate or it won't work. How do I make them cooperate?

I'm assuming I purchase (not lease) the TIVO for $399. I then pay a monthly fee ($15) or lifetime ($100) to TIVO. Comcast shouldn't charge me for a receiver or for leasing equipment but I need to plug the TIVO into the Comcast system -- somehow?

I then pay Comcast for the programming only? How do I get the correct cable card? It seems like a big disadvantage for TIVO that Comcast doesn't cooperate.

Also, since this would be a new service how does Comcast do the install with TIVO's equipment. I must be missing something. It can't be this difficult to get TIVO to work with Xfinity/Comcast? :confused:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Not only is compatible but they also have a Comcast Xfinity app on Tivo. You need go to your local office and pickup a cable card in order for it to work. Be prepared to spend several hours of your life talking to one clueless rep after another as they try to get the card activated.

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Tivo does work comcast cable.
    I have had 4 different tivos with Comcast. I am using the tivo elite right now. All I had to do is go to the comcast office wait in line for about 10 to 15 minutes. When I got to the rep I just said I need a cable card. 2 minutes later I was walking out the door with the card. When I got home pop in the card and went to the pairing screen called the special cable card number and gave the rep the numbers. 2 min later I all of my channels was working ok. In all about 5 min.
    I hate people that says all Comcast reps are clueless. They are some just like they are clueless posters here.

4. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    It isn't rocket science. Just buy a TiVo and then call Comcast and arrange for an installation. If you get a clueless rep then just ask for a different rep or hang up and call back. When the installer arrives, they pair the cable card to the TiVo and your good to go.

5. Smiles3usa

Smiles3usa New Member

May 2, 2013
    Lifetime on a new XL4 is 500, not 100. And, if you are going to spend @900 for the box (with the service), the additional 40. for the extended warranty might not be a bad idea either.

Comcast service works great with Tivo. If, however, this is your first time using Comcast, it generally requires a truck roll to your home to connect the service. The good news is that for new customers the installation is, generally, free -- as is the best rate. You will have to go through the getting started screen before the technicians comes to your home to install the cable and s/he will then install the cable card and get it paired for you too. As a new customer, Comcast does bend over backwards--at least in my area, it seems so.

Alternatively, you could get the Comcast service, have it installed at your place, then buy the Tivo and exchange your Comcast box for a M-card and do it yourself. I, prefer the lazy way -- especially since it would be free :)

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not hard at all, for any existing customer the process is:
    *Buy Tivo (a current model) and sign up for the appropriate service level or lifetime
    *Pick up a CableCARD at the local office
    *Self-install the CableCARD at home
    *Enjoy

Many folks are able to do that, but with you being a new customer, yes a truck roll is part of the process, but it's a N/C truck roll and they can make sure everything is fine and handle the CableCard install as needed, but set up that Tivo first. The Tivo isn't required, a Comcast tech can do an install and testing without the Tivo there and just a cable ready TV, it'll have limited channels, but it will be testable.

The rep that said Tivo wasn't compatible was just clueless.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Any customer can self-install as long as Comcast has cable running to the house, either new or existing. No need for a truck roll.

8. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    The thing that stuck in my mind with what you wrote is $100.00 for lifetime,where the heck did you get the idea that lifetime service was only $100.00 instead of $499.00?.Anyway if you still decide to get the tivo premeire despite the high lifetime service price, you will love it! good luck ! BTW if you ever get a 2nd tivo premiere the liftime service on that one is reduced $100.00 to $399.00.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While I agree in general, I can also see the point of a N/C truck roll when the current resident does not have Comcast service, who knows what you'll find inside, cut wires, etc, I'd want a tech sent on the install.

10. AMike

AMike Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    Comcast has been extremely compatible with my Tivos (knock on wood). I have had minimal issue setting up my multiple Tivos with Comcast myself without a truck roll. The only thing that has occurred was a bad cable card which I had swapped out. I just know when I go to the local office, I need to come with patience as the lines are lengthy since they only staff 3 people max at a time.

11. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Do you think that Comcast would turn on the service for a new customer without a truck roll though? I don't.

Edit: I missed your reply on the other thread. Comcast really allowed someone to to do that? That sure doesn't sound like them. The thing about Comcast is that every office often acts differently. One may allow it, but another may require a truck roll. Just look at the different answers you get regarding cable cards. And CC self-installs are there by law.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yes, they will and have - this happens all the time for new Comcast customers in apartments frex. My daughter got a self-install kit shipped (without the card but with a basic STB) then went to the local office to pick up a card. No tech needed.

13. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for the info. It sucks to find this out now though. My mother-in-law had Comcast install internet and tv at the apartment she moved into last year and she ended up paying a $30 install fee for each service ($60 total). All they did was connect a cable to the wall outlet and attached it to a cable box and a modem. I could have easily done this for her.

14. George R

George R New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    South Jersey
    It works, it may take a couple weeks and about 3 hours on the phone, but they'll finally get it right. Comcast sucks. Horrible customer service and 90% of them don't know what a cableCard is.

15. beeman65

beeman65 New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Once you get the Comcast service ordered and your Tivo set up, the Cable Card part comes next. This experience is different for everyone. For me, I have two cable cards through them and installing/setting up both cards was painless. Other people have bad stories.

For me, I just went to the local Comcast office and told them I have a Tivo and wanted a cable card. The worker grabbed one, associated it with my account, and gave it to me in a Self Install Booklet with instructions. Once home, I put the Cable Card in my Tivo and followed those directions until I got to the screen with all the Cable Card details on it. The self install kit directed me to call 1-877-405-2298. This is Comcast's Cable Card Activation Line. These people know what a Cable Card is and will understand your request. I would not call 1-800-Comcast. Both time I have called, someone answered by the third ring. They verify your account and then you read back this information to them:

Tivo Host ID:
    Data ID:
    Unit Address:
    Card Serial Number:

Then they attempt to activate and pair the Tivo and card together. I never had any problems and was off the phone within five minutes. If they do have problems, they will schedule a tech to come to your house. They will tell you it can take 45 minutes for all your channels to appear and for OnDemand to work, but I have never had to wait more than one minute.

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    It's not available in all areas; I don't know whether the OP can access the app (I can't).

The rationale for "Not compatible" typically is that you can't watch PPV/OnDemand via a TiVo. Might or might not be an issue for some.

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You CAN watch PPV on a Tivo. I don't know why so many people have that wrong.

18. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    How do you do that?

Are you referring to PPV or OnDemand?

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    PPV. Pick up the phone and call the cable company to order whatever event it is that you want to order. They authorize the channel, just like if you were ordering HBO.

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Is that the same process as when you have a Comcast STB?