1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why more than one roamio in your house?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1 of 67
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    OK, I'm probably asking a stupid question now that I'm about to become a Roamio Plus newbie...

During my various areas of research on the boards I occasionally come across posts were people talk about having two Roamio's for their home. If a Roamio Plus (like I'm planning to get) has 6 tuners, why would you need two of them, unless you plan on watching/recording more than 6 shows at once. Is is that simple?
    I plan on a Roamio plus and 4 mini's? Would there be any reason for me to consider two Roamio's and 3 mini's? Straighten me out!

2. Nov 7, 2013 #2 of 67
    monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    To keep the Kardashians off my Tivo!

3. Nov 7, 2013 #3 of 67
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Sorry, I know that was a joke, but I don't get it.

4. Nov 7, 2013 #4 of 67
    monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    It is not a joke at all. I don't want all the crap my wife likes to watch on my Tivo such as Keeping Up with the Kardashians or Dance Moms is another example.

5. Nov 7, 2013 #5 of 67
    AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Here is a possible reason with the setup your mentioned. If all 4 minis will be watching live tv at the same time, now you only have 2 tuners available for new recordings.

6. Nov 7, 2013 #6 of 67
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If money is no issue there is a case for more DVRs in a household where the various users watch very different content and each user has their own TV. Much easier to just manage your own content and let the kids and/or spouse manage there own on a different DVR.

Also some people might like to have a DVR that can do OTA so again if money is no issue having a Roamio Plus/Pro for cable and a base Roamio for OTA would be useful for some people.

7. Nov 7, 2013 #7 of 67
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm not getting a second Roamio, but I kept a Premiere XL4. We don't need 10 tuners, but until Tivo comes up with user profiles or some other kind of "mine", "yours", and "Little Johnny's" folder system to keep things organized, I prefer to have all of my sister's and her kid's stuff on a separate box.

But I already had the box, so I'm not spending much more money by keeping it (except the cablecard fee).

8. Nov 7, 2013 #8 of 67
    marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    OK, now I understand. Since it's just myself and my partner, with same/similar tastes, I likely don't need a second DVR. Thanks for the examples.

9. Nov 7, 2013 #9 of 67
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yep we're in the same boat. I bought a Roamio for my shows and all the shows we watch together and gave her my old XL4 for all her crap. We don't actually need 10 tuners, but until there is some sort of profile system we can't share. Even then we may not be able to because my wife is adamant about having that clock back door* turned on and I hate it. We bought a Premiere together once a long time ago and fought about that stupid clock all the time. It got so bad that I ended up buying her out just so I could leave the clock off all the time.

*SPS9S enables a little clock in the upper left corner that shows the current time and your current position in the show

10. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    So has there been any real talk about a profile environment for this very reason or is this on a wish list?

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A few years ago this screenshot showed up in a review of the Premiere...

[​IMG]

Other then that TiVo has never said a word about profiles. We're all just hoping it's part of their long term plan.

12. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Thanks. I've never seen that. Guess it was a feature that got pulled for more work or for strategic reasons.

13. Antennaman

Antennaman New Member

May 5, 2004
    And I thought my wife was the only one! My box is loaded with Orange County, NJ, Atlanta housewifes and every cooking show on TV. Now she wonders why the new Roamio is in the living room and her old verizon 2 tuner piece of crap is in the bedroom.

14. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    At CEDIA I asked about profiles/separate folders for individual family members. I was told by one of the TiVo booth people that it was looked at but that it was considered too complicated for most folks to figure out.

Of course, most of us here would have no problem with this feature, but TiVo is also catering to people who are a lot less technologically oriented, so I can see their point of view.

15. KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
    Another point to consider. You can't pull recordings from pyTivo to a mini.

This is what is causing me to buy roamios instead of minis. If Minis could stream content from a home-server, things would be very different. :)

16. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    But you could pull it to a Roamio and then stream it to the Mini.

17. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Argh. that's close to a deal breaker, maybe not quite, but close, for me. I have a lot of media content and use PlayOn as my media server. So if I want to watch my media, I have to download it first to the Roamio? Can't I just download everything from my media server to my Roamio and delete it from there when I watch it?

18. dcpmark

dcpmark New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    I'm slowly replacing my four Series 3 Tivos now, and have gone with Minis to replace two of them. 7 months ago I replaced two TivoHDs with a Premiere XL4 (not knowing the Roamio was around the corner!:mad:) and a Mini. Last night I replaced my main S3 and a TiVO HD with a Roamio Pro and a Mini. Both Minis are in rooms that don't need their own dedicated DVRs, but I can access everything in the house.

19. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Nailed that one perfectly!! Exactly why I just got two to replace two S3 HDs instead of one and a Mini.

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    6 Tuners does not *necessarily* really mean 6 "shows at once", as you'll likely find out. Unless you're one who doesn't care about missing the end/beginning of shows.

You will have to add 'padding' to a lot of shows (esp network shows, and a few cable channels that do it for all of their shows). That is, make the season pass start a minute early and/or end a minute late.

That "eats up" your tuners.

Plus, if you have multiple people in the household, 6 tuners isn't that much either.

I have a premiere 4 and Tivo HD, so the equivalent in tuners to a roamio pro. I want to consolidate to one device (not two SP lists), but still once in a while end up with a clipped show because of not enough tuners.

Tivos *could* handle this automagically in most cases (if you were recording abutting shows on the same network), but they don't.