1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my space disappearing on my HD3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by megory, Jul 26, 2013.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    I have an HD3 TiVo 1350 which supposedly has 1241 SD hours. To save space, I record in SD.

When I left for a 3 day trip, I deleted as much as possible. I had recordings to protect from a few years ago (but not on KUID). When I returned Sunday, all was well, but my deleted recordings were down to about 100. It seemed like I page upped fewer times and noticed that was odd.

(Usually, I have 200-400 deleted recordings, and can page up about 20-25 times to the top.)

Yesterday, I went to undelete a program, and there were only TWO programs in my undelete file, and I sure didn't record 100 shows and had also done daily multiple deletes. It seems like many recordings have disappeared too.

So, I diligently removed more programs that I figure I won't watch, and got up to 67, I think. This morning, there are only 54 programs in my deleted file.

What could be happening? Where are my programs going? What should I do to stop this shrinking of my HD?

Any ideas or suggestions? Do you need more information from me? Thanks.

2. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I know you said your watch list was not KUID but what about your season passes?
    If you have too many season passes set to KUID then this may contribute to your issue.
    Also check your To Do List to see what is scheduled to be recorded; there may be a marathon upcoming that the TiVo is preparing for.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Keep in mind, too, that losing 50+ items in your Recently Deleted folder doesn't mean 50+ new items were recorded, it's not a one-to-one thing. If the TiVo needs 2 hours of space, for example, it would have to remove four 30-minute recordings. And even that's not exact but you see what I'm getting at hopefully.

Do you have Suggestions turned on?

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The Tivo won't delete shows before the recordings are actually done. The issue you are describing relates to shows NOT recording or being scheduled to record.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    ???

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The OP is referring to a TiVo HD with 1350 hours of SD recording capacity.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    One would think that someone that's been around here for over 10 years would know how to identify their Tivo when they are asking for help with it.

8. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    Good points and thanks for the ideas.

Just to follow-up, New Jersey, I don't have SPs in KUID but thanks for the thought. I have always had plenty of space. I usually have plenty in deleted shows, and, if I see they're going down to 200, I start deleting anything I'm not likely to watch.

Thanks WindRacer. Yes, I realize there are different length shows so if I delete one that is 2.5 hours, I have room for 2 one hour shows and one half hour show (and vice versa) <vbg>

I never use suggestions, so that doesn't explain it.

I haven't made ANY changes recently, thus my confusion. Last night I deleted many shows to try to build up my deleted file. And I deleted many 2-2.5 hour shows. My deleted count was 74 when I went to bed and 54 (again) when I awoke. Six 1-hour shows had been recorded in the interim.

Is there anything that TiVo could have done that would take up space? I guess I'm going to need to find a way to copy my SP list from TiVo.com, and maybe delete all and start from the beginning. I guess I'll hook up my other TiVo so I can MRV.

I'd love some input or other ideas to help me brainstorm, and I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out.

M

9. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    I just deleted a show I watched, and there was an ephemeral "video missing" that flashed before my eyes. Unreproducible. I have never, in ten years, seen that!

10. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Did your TiVo HD get the new 11.0m release that's been slowly rolling out? I haven't gotten it yet on my S3 or THD and it's only supposed to fix the TiVoToGo/cookie problem from back in February but maybe there's some other change that was made with regards to how the box is managing Deleted Items?

And you're sure you're only recording the BHN analog channels? Not any of the digital or HD ones?

11. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    Hmm. The software version is 11.ok-01-2-652. So I guess it IS the release whereof you speak? Am I the first whose TiVo memory has been eaten?

I don't do TiVoToGo. And it seems more like its affecting my recording space and delete space. Theres something creepy about this. In fact, My first thought was that TiVo wanted to limit space so people will buy Premiere <vbg>

Appreciate your input WR. Any suggestions from here?

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Have you done a cold boot by unplugging the power cord for about 30 seconds?

Have you tried running a Clear Program Information & To Do List? If there's something wrong with the guide data that should force it to rebuild.

The only other ideas that come to mind is that the hard drive is marking large chunks of space as unuseable or something in the operating system got corrupted. Maybe it tried to download the 11.0m update and something went wrong.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Having 1350 hrs and only recording SD has got to be very unusual, resulting in a huge number of video recordings. I wonder if the count is actually reaching a limit implicit in the TiVo operating system?

Just out of curiosity, is your GC date (third screen of System Information) a week or more back?

How was this box upgraded to 1 TB --- or is it a TiVo HD XL ? Actually please give your model number just to tie that down.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's 11.0k, so you haven't been updated to 11.0m yet.

15. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    Yes, I have done a cold boot, but I haven't done the Clear Program and To Do list yet. I'm afraid of losing my SPs and can't figure how to copy my SP list from Tivo.com (any ideas?).

Sunday, I had 280 SD shows and 59 deleted. Some of those are 2 hour shows and some 1/2 hour shows.

Now I have 47 deleted--a far cry from the 400 plus I used to have. Further, My Tivo system says it has capacity to record 1241 SD hours. Curiouser and curiouser.

M

16. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    Ah, thanks.

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Using the "Clear Program Info & To Do List" won't remove your SPs or Thumb ratings.

18. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    LOL. Yes, my TiVo is an HD3 and the reason we had Weaknees upgrade our purchase in 2009 was so we could record more. And that's why we record in analog and have done so with all our TiVos for the past 10+ years. There has never been a problem before last week.

The GC date is current. Tuesday, July 30.

The resounding disbelief sounds like y'all never had this problem and never resolved it!
    M

19. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    That's good to know. But it will remove my to do list, and . . . will it just remove the guide or will it delete my programs?

20. megory

Jan 22, 2003
    BH, South...
    Just checked my deleted file. It's down to 36. That means soon it will delete my recordings. I'm guessing I'm suddenly limited to 400 hours of SD instead of the 1241 I had for 4 years. I have to find out why. And why the system still says I have total recording space for 1241 SD hours.