1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does TiVO make is so hard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rpk113, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1 of 65
    rpk113

rpk113 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    New York
    I have 2X TivoHD's and 1 X Premiere (dual-tuner). I have a yearly deal on the premiere and one of the Tivo HD's. I keep calling to upgrade the yearly TiVoHD to a 4-tuner and they have no deals for me. Not even that, if I want to change out my hardware they want me to cancel my yearly tivohd and purchase a new premiere and new service. I thought phone company upgrades were hard.. Why does TiVO make it so hard for me to give them more $$? I want to keep my service, I want to pay for a new box. But you make it so hard...

2. Feb 5, 2013 #2 of 65
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you had lifetime service on the boxes it would be easy. Then you could just sell the old box to cover most of the cost of a new box with lifetime service. When I upgraded to my lifetime Premieres, I sold my Lifetime S3 boxes to cover most of the cost. When I upgraded to lifetime Elite/XL4 boxes, I sold my Lifetime Premieres to cover all of the cost.

3. Feb 5, 2013 #3 of 65
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    They have a product for sale if you want it all you have to do is buy/pay for it. Nothing hard about that at all. Saying a company/person is making it hard to buy something because they won't sell it to you for what you want to pay is amusing.

4. Feb 5, 2013 #4 of 65
    tjtv

tjtv New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    How can you make enough money selling Lifetime premieres to fully cover the cost of lifetime elite/xl4 boxes? Why would someone be willing to pay a similar price for a used item that they could pay for a brand new better item?

5. Feb 5, 2013 #5 of 65
    rpk113

rpk113 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    New York
    Problem is I get that part.. I wantt o buy the goods their selling, but not at the cost of being treated like a new customer (new box, new montly)

TIVO's solution seems to be, once you buy equipment your stuck with it till you a) cancel b) have a hardware failure c) be one of the lucky few to get an upgrade deal.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #6 of 65
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    If you want to be treated like a new customer then become a new customer with someone else. Otherwise you have to buy what is being offered

7. Feb 5, 2013 #7 of 65
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    thank you, mr obvious :)

THE OP is right, Tivo does not seem to comprehend how to sell, like Fios/Comcast, etc. You try to keep customers, not restart them. Your customer base is your bread and butter.

8. Feb 5, 2013 #8 of 65
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You get a MSD, that is the benefit of being a customer.

If I buy a new ipod touch, Apple does not give me a discount because I already own two. Why should I expect one?

9. Feb 5, 2013 #9 of 65
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well that has not been my experience with pay TV providers. The best deals are for new customers existing customers have to pay more for the same thing. Sure sometimes (not always) you can get a deal once you actually cancel via retention but nothing up front.

10. lew2

lew2 New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    It sounds like your "issue" with TiVo is they're not offering you a special upgrade deal that's better than anyone else can get.

What exactly are you looking for TiVo to do for you?

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    And this differs from buying anything else how?

You simple want to pay less for a new TiVo than what TiVo is willing to sell it to you for. Nothing wrong with you deciding it isn't worth it to you to pay more and nothing wrong with TiVo deciding giving you a lower price isn't worth it to them.

That's how capitalism works it requires a willing buyer AND seller.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I sold two lifetime premieres for each lifetime Elite/XL4. So I had the same number of tuners, but fewer boxes and less power usage. The four lifetime premieres covered more than 100% of the cost of my two lifetime Elite/XL4 boxes including the extended warranties.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

13. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Tell us exactly what deal you want and what deal you were offered.

14. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Fios and Comcast dont know how to sell either. They churn customer like there is no tomorrow.

15. macgyver

macgyver Clowns are after me!

Dec 7, 2001
    Cupertino, CA
    I'd be happy to pay full price for the hardware. For me, it's the way they handle 'lifetime' service that's stupid. I'd probably buy new hardware frequently if they either tied the lifetime service to my account (instead of the hardware) or offered a significant discount on lifetime when upgrading hardware.

I know TiVo wants a monthly subscription from everyone. I'm never going to go for it, and they're missing out on the opportunity to sell me new hardware as a result.

16. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    ...but Tivo loses money on some hardware. Why would Tivo lose money on hardware they sell to you and tie 'lifetime' service to your account -- also losing money? That's a recipe for a speedy bankruptcy.

Related question: would you pay for a 'lifetime' service subscription tied to your account that lasts 10 years but costs $1000 -$1500? What price point would you jump?

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You can word it anyway you want, but what you and the original poster are saying is I would buy a new TiVo if it cost less.

Well lots of people would buy lots of things if they cost less. I guess we all like to bi*** about the price of things to some extent but honestly does anyone thing it is going to change a thing? TiVo does have deals, they come and go, if one really wants a TiVo just paying attention to the deals can end up saving you some money.

18. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    +10

19. rpk113

rpk113 New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    New York
    I was offered a discounted tivo ($249 for 4 tuner) and new service.. I happen to have the older $99 yearly service and wanted to keep it. I was told no way.. I offered to pay $399 for the 4-tuner, again no way..

I'm not asking for free stuff, or deep discount, or $49 lifetime. I want them to comprehend that as their equipment gets older (less technologically advanced) that we'll want new hardware and not have to give our spleen to get it.

20. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Bad example. Unlike Apple, when I buy a new TiVo, they do give me a discount, because I have a TiVo with Lifetime.

With the multi-service discount, I used to get service on my second TiVo for $6.95. By the time I got my TiVoHD, the MSD monthly rate was $9.95. Sure, it would have been great if the MSD monthly rate was still $6.95 forever, but I also want TiVo to make enough money to stay in business. So I'm happy to get any kind of price break at all. The $99 yearly service deal was a nice price, but they're not offering it for new boxes anymore, just like I can't get $6.95 for my monthly deal. That's just the way it is.

If the OP wants a good deal, nothing's stopping him from putting Lifetime on one of his boxes, and taking advantage of the MSD deals after that.