1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whodunnit Season 1

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Azlen, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
  2. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I wanted to like this show, but I didn't. Gave up about half way through it. It seemed too staged, even for a "reality" show.

3. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Fun show, but hopefully the contestants don't take it too seriously. The first victim, cheerleader chick, if her head only cracked the glass to later have it shatter after she fell backwards I don't think the glass would be embedded in her face like that (though I could be wrong). Also that was one hell of a shot with a slingshot!

I did like how the next victim died. Too bad it wasn't him doing that stunt. Also would be interesting to see the behind the scenes. My guess is after they retired to their rooms after dinner the producers let the next guy know he was out of the game.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought they DID take it way too seriously. I couldn't actually tell for sure it wasn't him doing the stunt, though of course I suspected it wasn't (unless they got all stunt people to do the show).. Though will each person have to fake being a dead body for the morgue scenes?

I too thought of The Mole -- combined with the murder dinner theatre.

It was pretty decent, but yeah, them taking it way too seriously.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'm no expert, but no, there wouldn't have been glass embedded in her head like that given the explanation that the fish tank took a little time to burst. For the glass to be embedded like it was, her head would have had to put a significant hole in the tank that would have allowed the water to pour out immediately. I'm also positive that a circuit breaker or fuse would have reacted immediately to shut off the power when the water hit the electric cord.

Considering how well thought out and orchestrated the first kill was to get the desired outcome, I'm really wondering how they'll explain Dontae's running through the mansion, through an open door and into the pool when most people would likely just flail around in the area in which they caught fire.

This show is not for thinking people.

6. dowalker

dowalker New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Spring Hill, FL
    This show reminds me how much I miss 'The mole'

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was quite an interesting show. I liked it. It's interesting how they will make the contestants play dead bodies and record reenactments of their deaths the week after they get killed. If they can keep up the surprises, I think it'll be fun to watch.

8. bacevedo

bacevedo Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    We really liked the show. It reminded us of the mole quite a bit, which also reminded us of how much we miss the mole.

It's obvious that most of it has to be staged in order to get the shots and angles that they want when the deaths occur. It would be interesting to know how much the contestants know ahead of time. Did they tell them to stand in a certain spot so they wouldn't get hit by a burning man? Did they have to do more than one take for that shot?

You just have to sit back and watch it and enjoy it and not think too much about every little detail. In other words, try to figure out the mystery within the bounds of the show and not real life. In that case it's a lot of fun to watch.

Bryan

9. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    With so many comparisons to the Mole, maybe I need to reconsider and try to watch this again. Too bad I deleted it from the DVR; looks like it's available online though.

10. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I did think it was really cool that each had to describe the murder to the camera ("the murderer") and the person who does the worst goes home...er....I mean gets killed ;) It's a nice twist for a reality show to not have a vote to eliminate somebody.

There were a lot of details and red herrings which was pretty fun. For instance, I liked that they discovered the steam machine in the bathroom which would let them fog up the mirror to read the message.

I felt a little sorry for the guy who cracked the puzzle and then all the people rushed after him to find the evidence.

11. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Yeah, definitely a Mole-ish vibe, but of course, not as good.

I think I've already figured out who the killer is, too. Have to wait and see if I'm right.

For the record...

I'm pretty sure it's Don. He was too far off the truth for a former homicide detective and what better way to allay suspicion than be marked as a victim in the very first episode!

12. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It even said in the credits that the elimination was based on a written test. So it's pretty much The Mole with murder/investigation trappings. I'll watch it over the summer, but it wouldn't be a pick for me if there was more competition.

13. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Apparently there were people watching that thought the contestants were actually being killed.

14. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    When they told the first girl she was safe--were they saying that she was the closest to what happened, or did they just mention her first randomly?

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though that's all for show (pun intended). The end credits said that the eliminated contestant was chosen on how they did in a *written* test.

and yeah, the credits also said much of it was reenacted or some similar word.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    "recreated"
    Near as I can tell, the only thing that affects the outcome is the written test and they don't show that, so basically everything is edited and/or recreated.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. You think *all* of their participation is recreated, not their actual discussion at the time?

I think the "edited" comment always just means "they talked about X, and X didn't have anything to do with that week's plot, so it was edited out".. as opposed to editing out various Jeopardy! questions and changing the scores retroactively.

18. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    For the second episode, what did the medallion actually have to do with the murder. I'm not sure I understood that part. Did it help conduct the electricity or something?

19. nyc13

nyc13 New Member

May 31, 2013
    That's why I'm out, now. It's bugging me how much the clues are just being placed there to be clues instead of how things would really happen. The glass in her forehead. The socks and medallion just sliding off the dead body into the pool. Things are being staged unnaturally only so that there can be a roughly equal number of clues in the three locations.

20. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    This game is really more about social dynamics than it is solving a murder mystery. They are less concerned with how it would happen in reality and more concerned with distributing clues over the three clue areas. You of course have to piece the clues together, but the key to surviving this game is to get as much information as you can from the people who explored the other clue areas or found any other clues. If nobody wants to share any real information with you then you aren't going to last long in this game.