1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Who were the worst five Trek characters?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by kiljoy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1 of 103
    kiljoy

kiljoy New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm in the mood for a Trek debate, so here it is. What would be your worst five Trek characters? They can be undeveloped, poorly acted, badly conceived, or just plain distasteful. (That's Travis Mayweather, Tom Paris, Dr. Polaski, and Wesley Crusher.)

I'd imagine my top five would be those four plus Ezri Dax, though I can cut her a little slack for stepping in after Farrell left.

Tony

2. Dec 21, 2005 #2 of 103
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Wesley Crusher
    Neelix
    Grand Negus Zek
    Troi
    Malcolm Reed

3. Dec 21, 2005 #3 of 103
    PeternJim

PeternJim New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Don't know if this is something where I can be as concrete as "worst" but I'll throw a couple cents into the mix.

I think the single most disappointing character in all of Trek to me was Tasha Yar. She never really embodied what she was supposed to. She was supposed to be a survivor of a feral childhood on a failed colony, fighting by her wits to survive abuse, rape, mayhem, and bad hair and all, only rescued by Starfleet. As I understand it, the working model they had was the character of Vasquez in Aliens, and they actually considered Jenette Goldstein for Yar. Wow, how different that would have been! Of course, if she had worked out, Worf wouldn't have gone the same direction he did. Denise Crosby did her best and had her moments, but I still wish...

I have to throw Kes in as well. What was the point? They could have done some really neat stuff with her if she hadn't been so starkly and unrelievedly nice. We got a taste of what Jennifer Lien might have been able to do in the episode where she got possessed. I always thought that with her short life-cycle, they could have gotten Kes pregnant, and she could have played a double-role as Kes and her daughter for one season, then had Kes age and die, with Jennifer continuing in the new role. At least a little drama there.

I think both Wesley Crusher and Katherine Pulaski come under the heading of Bad Idea. They were doomed from the first. The whole idea of children on the Enterprise was a stupid one, and the fact that the writers grabbed the Boy Genius idea and ran with it just made that worse. And when they decided that Beverly wasn't working out, putting Dr. McCoy in drag and trying to pass her off as a new idea was unforgiveble. Diana Muldour deserved better, and could probably have done better with better writing.

The entire Vulcan race on Enterprise was just WRONG. You want to screw with something, make it up fresh, don't completely trash all the continuity of the whole franchise just to get some pissy pointy-eared bad guys.

I think Chakotay, Harry Kim, Ezri Dax, Malcolm Reed, and Travis Mayweather all suffered from Terminal Bland. The characters didn't have a hook for the writers to latch onto and run with, so they simply never developed at all. Since the writers didn't care, we didn't either.

Lenore Karidian had to be the single most annoying character in any Trek incarnation. Okay, so she was a deranged Shakespearian serial murderer, but she managed to play THAT over the top.

I have very, very mixed feelings about some of the other alien races. The writers seemed to have a gift for creating very complex and rich ideas, then dumbing them down to pointlessness. The Trill and the Ferengi were the best examples of this. The possibilities inherent in both races and the opportunities to see truly alien species went right out the window almost instantly. At the same time, I love Dax, and the Ferengi we ended up with were a hoot. Ah well.

Okay. More than five. Oops.

4. Dec 21, 2005 #4 of 103
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    That one guy in that episode, you know, the guy in the red shirt, got hisself killed?
    THAT guy!

5. Dec 21, 2005 #5 of 103
    Lannister80

Lannister80 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Worst
    Tasha Yar - TNG
    Neelix - Voyager
    Harry Kim - Voyager
    Kira Nerys - DS9
    Seven of Nine (hot but boring) - Voyager

Best
    Picard (all hail the Picard!)
    Riker
    Kirk
    Worf
    Data

Gee, am I TNG biased or what?

6. Dec 21, 2005 #6 of 103
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    5th you beat me to it....was gonna say the poor person who wasn't in the part of the landing party normally...as soon as Kirk said: Spock, McCoy, Sulu, McHatchery...you just knew McHatchery was gonna die!

7. Dec 21, 2005 #7 of 103
    7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    Any list that doesn't begin with Janeway is bogus.

8. Dec 21, 2005 #8 of 103
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'll take Sisko and Kira Nerys over Picard and Riker any day of the week.

9. Dec 21, 2005 #9 of 103
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You know, I just saw the "Arctic Radar" episode of The West Wing again yesterday and then I see this thread which is eerily evocative of a conversation Josh had with a WH worker who was a Trekkie:

"Tell me if any of this sounds familiar", indeed :D

10. Dec 21, 2005 #10 of 103
    johnspalm

johnspalm New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Chakotay - may have been the victim of bad script writing

Ezri Dax - a victim of the replacement curse

Travis Mayweather - just plain bad casting

Nog - how irritating

Jake Sisko - just a waste of screen real estate

11. Dec 21, 2005 #11 of 103
    BetterYeti

BetterYeti Looks like chicken.

Aug 24, 2004
    Yeah, but I think the worst alien race among the regulars was the race that was the original antagonist in Voyager. They are so unmemorable, I'm not even sure I recall the name. The Kurzon? Or was that the name of one of them? Anyway, the lead member of that race would be on my list for one of the five worst characters.

Consistent with your "dumbing down" point was the merciless emasculating of the Borg. By the end, what did we get? Something like Catwoman and her moronic henchmen from the Adam West version of Batman.

12. Dec 21, 2005 #12 of 103
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Anyone on DS9 and Enterprise (except Tupal) if you ask me. I watched most of the episodes because it was ST but never could really get into it.

Rich

13. Dec 21, 2005 #13 of 103
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Kazon.

14. Dec 21, 2005 #14 of 103
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    All he ever did was ***** about the writing, so they probably did intentionally give him crap to work with.

15. Dec 21, 2005 #15 of 103
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I'll definitely second Mayweather. I'm sure Montgomery can act, but he sure wasn't given a chance. When they finally got around to a Travis episode, I wasn't even interested.

As for Paris, I think the producer blew it by re-casting an actor from a very visible role in a somewhat similar one. Everytime I saw Paris, I thought of Nick Lecarno. Plus, we just never got to see enough of Tom Paris' bad side.

16. Dec 21, 2005 #16 of 103
    DRobbins

DRobbins Putting things off

Dec 23, 2001
    I have no idea how accurate it really is, but I've read in multiple places that the real reason Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher) left TNG for a season was because she was being sexually harassed by one of the show's producers. Supposedly, during the season she was away, the other actors became increasingly annoyed by Diana Muldaur "phoning it in" (basically not bothering to learn her lines) and pretty much demanded that Gates McFadden return. The producer responsible for the harassment left (I have no idea if it was at all related to the offense) and McFadden was persuaded to return.

Anyway, Dr. Pulaski would be at the top of my list of worst Trek characters. I'd add the Grand Nagus, Moogie and 1st-season Wesley Crusher to the list.

17. Dec 21, 2005 #17 of 103
    7thton

7thton No raindrop ever falls in the wrong place

Mar 3, 2005
    I really like all the Ferengi characters. They are really funny and have a totally different motivation than do most of the other Trek races.

18. Dec 21, 2005 #18 of 103
    BetterYeti

BetterYeti Looks like chicken.

Aug 24, 2004
    On DS9, I used to like Cassidy Yates' character, but I now associate the actress so completely with Sheri Palmer from 24 that I can barely watch her. Not one of my 5 worst characters exactly, but I find it really hard to enjoy when she's featured in episodes. Kinda weird, actually.

I'm generally pro-Ferengi, but Moogie skeeved me out . . . especially with the association that Ferengi generally kept their women naked. Ewww.

19. Dec 21, 2005 #19 of 103
    5thcrewman

5thcrewman New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    [NOT]
    All the characters played by Jeffrey Combs!
    Tiron
    Brunt
    Weyoun
    Penk
    Shran
    Krem
    [/NOT]

20. Dec 21, 2005 #20 of 103
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...