1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which unit has best UI/Performance?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Skullbussa, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Skullbussa

Skullbussa New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I was wondering, out of all the new TiVOs being sold today, are any of them "faster" than the other?

I do not need more than 2 Tuners, so the standard Premiere seems to fit the bill. However, does the new Premiere 4 have a faster CPU or anything else other than 2 extra tuners to make it more desirable?

Thanks!

2. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    They all have the same CPU and relative performance. Some say the 2 Tuners are faster than the 4 and vice versa. Overall though it should be the same

3. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    In addition to the extra tuners, the new units have MoCA. Anecdotally, the 2-tuner units may be more responsive. The processing power is the same across all series 4 boxes.

4. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Built in MoCA is something to consider if you want multiple Tivos and MRV/streaming and don't already have wired 100Mbit or better.

5. Skullbussa

Skullbussa New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks for your responses, but this leads me to MoCA question:

Will MoCA benefit me if I want the following setup:

1. Living room with DVR (TiVO)

2. Bedroom with ability to use a guide and possibly stream recorded shows from TiVO in living room. But at minimum, just to have guide functionality.

6. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    You will need a second Tivo in the Bedroom. There is currently no way to access a guide or the other recordings without another box

7. Skullbussa

Skullbussa New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Since I need a second TiVO, the MoCA really doesn't benefit me much does it?

8. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Tivo is supposed to release a stream client that functions like the current Stream, but works with TVs. Don't know of any other details or release date though.

9. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yes and No. MOCA between the two will allow you to share your playlists between the units. So if you record something in the bedroom, you can watch it in the living room.

I have two premieres in the same set up and split the season passes among the units

10. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    That is not entirely correct They are releasing the Mini.

This will allow you to add basically a Hard Drive less Tivo to another TV. Giving you all of the options a current Tivo does without a HD. It also does not have an actually TV Tuner. What it will do via MOCA is lock down a tuner from your other Premiere to watch Live TV on it.

11. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    The Mini is what I meant, but didn't know the details. Any idea of cost or release date?

12. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    No on both. We just know "Fall" there is a ton of threads here on it

13. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    A 2-tuner Premiere in the standard SDUI mode (standard def menus) is the fastest configuration.

Do you need a second box for recording capability, or do you just want an extender to playback recordings from the DVR, and maybe watch live TV occasionally?

If you just need an extender, there is a new device coming soon called the Tivo Mini. But it apparently requires a 4-tuner box at first. There will be a software update at some point in the future that will remove that requirement.

The primary benefit of moca is basically the ability to use your existing coax as networking cables. You can connect the Tivo wirelessly with an adapter if you want, but a wired connection is always optimal if you want to stream between multiple devices. Or you can just use ethernet too.