1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tivo for coaching? help please.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Urahoho, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Urahoho

Urahoho New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi,

I have an option of getting a Tivo series 1 HDR112 unopened and not activated for $20 or a Tivo series 2 with a life time subscription for $40.

I want to use for coaching, just to setup a 30 sec delay coming from an JVC Everio HD camcorder to a TV. I know the stream will not be in HD and that is fine.

Which one do you recommend I get for the best setup? I don't have any experience in doing this and was hoping someone on the forums can help. Since I have heard so much about it.

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Either one will work for this purpose. Configure it for cable or satellite with a cable box and the composite input from the camcorder (if it has one - if not, this isn't going to work for you.)

3. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    As long as the series 2 is in good condition then you should go with it.

Easy decision.

TC

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Get the S2.

When you go through Guided Setup, have your video source connected to the line inputs and have it working, feeding video.

Then lie and say you've got satellite, probably DirecTV would be best.

That'll get you a Channel 1.

When you want to record from your video source, tune the TiVo to Ch 1.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The channel 1 thing isn't accurate.
    Originally, when you had an rf cable connected to the Tivo, you could plug something into the composite input and use channel 1 to view/record from that source. I believe Tivo removed that ability a long time ago. Even if they haven't removed it, channel number is irrelevant when you set up the Tivo to use the composite input.
    When you use the composite input for your cable/satellite (whichever you choose to say you have), it doesn't matter what channel the Tivo thinks it's on because you aren't using the Tivo's tuners.

6. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Whichever you choose, keep in mind that you may have to have a phone line (S1 or S2) or a USB network adapter (S2) to get through the guided setup.
    If the Tivo was setup to use the composite input for cable/sat. then you won't need to go through guided setup for your intended purpose.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think perhaps the S1s would switch to line in if you tuned channel 1 or channel 0.

But nothing newer.

I have an S2 setup exactly the way I described.

(I use it to record S-video and audio from a PC)

If you want it to switch from the tuner's output to the line inputs, it has to think there's something there that it is programmed to deal with, like a satellite receiver or cable box.

If you tell it cable box during GS, then it won't set up for analog cable on the tuner, so the satellite lie lets you use both.

You can get it to use the line ins by telling it to switch to any satellite channel number once you've fooled it into thinking you've got satellite, but using Ch. 1 just makes it easier, in my opinion.

The only problem is you have to go in and uncheck all the other sat chans to keep from drowning in program info, and you're always getting messages about channel adds and deletions.

8. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's great. Good for you. The OP doesn't need your setup.

That's what I said minus the bit about switching from the tuner, because the OP doesn't need the Tivo's tuner.

The OP doesn't need cable, he's only using the Tivo for time delay from a live camera feed.

If it thinks it's only source of input is from the composite connection, channel number is irrelevant because whatever channel the Tivo thinks it is on, the signal is always the signal from the camera.

Not when you're only using it the way the OP intends to use it where it won't need to ever connect for guide data or to even set the clock.

9. Urahoho

Urahoho New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    ok, so it sounds like I am getting the s2 with a life time subscription. Thanks for your inputs. very helpful. I may be back if I have trouble with it lol.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    If you happen to get the S2 dual tuner (TCD649xxx) it has an ethernet port built-in.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    He or she did not unequivocably state that they would never ever under any circumstances, even upon pain of death, use it with analog cable.

12. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Even your rants lack accuracy.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    :D I find that rants are where you should expect the least accuracy, although I don't think unitron was ranting.