1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which has better OTA receiver?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DocNo, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Does the Series 3 OLED or Tivo HD have a better OTA antenna tuner?

Or are they both the same? I'm getting ready to cut the cord and thinking about trying out canceling service on either the S3 or HD to see if they will offer the $99 PLS special, and trying to decide which Tivo to try it with.

Thanks!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    AFAIK there is no siginficant difference. There are other factors that might make you prefer one over the other. Unless you have already upgraded the hard drives and/or replaced the power supplies or the capacitors in them, I would assume the S3 hard drive and power supply are older and might fail sooner. On the other hand the S3 has about 10% higher network transfer speeds than the HD, if that matters to you.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    From the reports here, the S3 has better OTA tuners (speculation?) and, as noted above, faster transfer speeds (not speculation).
    It was made as a high end unit, after all (initial price $800 not including service :eek:).

Even though I have never owned one, I would choose to keep the S3 over the TivoHD (unless cable card fees were to come into play).

4. S3-2501

S3-2501 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I own both an OLED S3 and Tivo HD. There is no perceptible difference in OTA reception between them in my difficult reception environment. Both perform very well and both outperform tuners in the Premiere in my receiving environment .

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It really doesn't matter that much anyway as to which one you keep subscribed. Say you do decide to keep the S3 subscribed and later on, for whatever reason, it turns out keeping the TivoHD would have been the better choice. You can still just transfer the TivoHD onto the existing subscription. This would activate and restore the subscription to the TivoHD, and effectively deactivate the S3.

This can typically be done online via your tivo.com account using the "Change service number" option. Phone calls or human intervention not needed.

6. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Thanks everyone - that's what I suspected, but it's nice to have verification.