1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which account for new mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by stevewjackson, Dec 21, 2016.

1. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...
    I've purchased a new TiVo mini from Amazon for my granddaughter. She spends most of her time at my son's home, where he has a Roamio Plus and mini of his own. I'd like to determine which account is the best choice for activation of the new mini -- mine or his. Are there issues with moving a mini between homes/accounts? In particular, if I activate it here at home and on my TiVo account before I wrap it up for her, will it have difficulties accessing his Roamio Plus to get a tuner or watch recordings?

Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise!

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You will have nothing but problems trying to switch the mini between accounts. They are designed to be activated and used on one account and although the "ownership"/ account information can be transfered, it can sometimes take a day or two. If you are determined to give her one, it is probably best to activate it on the account/location where she spends the most time.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...

That's more or less what I thought might be the case. I bought my son's Roamio Plus directly from TiVo so that it came pre-activated on my account. Getting it transferred to him was a much bigger headache than it should've been, while the new mini I gave him bought from Amazon was a snap for him to activate on his own account.