1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to find bonjour for win XP

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tattube, Nov 24, 2013.

1. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I installed tivo desktop on my laptop (win 7 home premium) a couple of years back and kind of remember having to select bonjour over beacon from the desktop settings.

When I went to install tivo desktop 2.8.3 on my winXP desktop, I keep getting a 'Bonjour is required for tivo desktop to work. Try restarting....or re-enable the service in Control Panel -> Admin. Tools ->Services. error.

restarting does not help, and bonjour is not listed in 'Services'...though beacon is.

any ideas on where to find bonjour, and where tivo is going to look for it?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
  3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about it not being listed in the 'Services' buried somewhere in Control Panel, or the one at Desktop -> Services -> TiVo Server Properties -> Network -> Discovery Protocol ?

I've installed 2.8.2 on 4 XP machines and just automatically got Bonjour for Windows and TiVo Beacon both offered, with Bonjour "pushbuttoned" by default.

You could try re-downloading 2.8.3

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe

which supposedly is just 2.8.2 with something added for the most recent DirecTV TiVo which was finally released a while back.

Or you could try 2.8.2

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktop2.8.2.exe

I have no idea if it has any bearing on things at all, but since half my TiVos are S2s, I DO NOT have File Transfer Speed --Use the fastest method - checked in Preferences.

4. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Sorry for taking so long to come back...thanks for the suggestions.

Unitron -
    I uninstalled 2.8.3 and installed 2.8.2
    Bonjour is now loaded and enabled.
    Thanks

BTW...I was referring to the services 'buried' in the control panel - though I didn't consider it buried. The path in the error banner took me right there.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Glad I could help, even if I have no idea exactly what I did. :D