1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Stream for Android???

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by dave060863, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1 of 288
    dave060863

dave060863 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    TIVO guys, c'mon! I've been a loyal TIVO customer since 2000! I don't buy Apple products. Period. Ever. Help me and other friends of TIVO who don't buy Apple out here. Where's our Stream for Android?!

2. Feb 24, 2013 #2 of 288
    Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    Sorry, if you "don't buy Apple products. Period",
    then you are out of luck, period.

3. Feb 24, 2013 #3 of 288
    dave060863

dave060863 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm sorry, did you think I was I talking to you? Your comment in not helpful and irrelevant.

Question still stands, TIVO. I understand the need to attack the Apple market first, but it's been about a year now. We've been patient. You have the other half of the mobile market place waiting. Please advise.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #4 of 288
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's been 5 months since the stream hit the market. And "Other half of the mobile market place"? What are you talking about?

Look, I'm with you that TiVo needs to step it up and release Android and Windows 8 client, but the Android Tablet market is a tiny fraction compared to the iPad installed user base, so lets not get ahead of themselves.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #5 of 288
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    :BUZZ: :buzz: :buzz: Wrong! Android actually world wide outsells iCrap! In 2012 Android outsold iCrap in the states even!

6. Feb 25, 2013 #6 of 288
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    As a phone OS that is true, but the Stream is aimed mainly at tablets not phones.

I've explained this before but there is actually a technical reason for the Android delay. The Stream uses a technology called encrypted HLS. Apple invented that technology so it is supported on all iOS devices. However Android did not add support for encrypted HLS until v4. And the only mass market tablets that use Android v4+ are the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus, both of which weren't even released until late last year. So until like August of last year there wasn't even an Android tablet on the market capable of using a Stream. And actual mass market adoption of those tablets didn't happen until the holidays. So there was really no substantial market for an Android version of the Stream until about 2 months ago.

That being said a TiVo employee confirmed via this forum that they started work on a Android version back in November. A 6 month development cycle is typical for these sorts of things so I'm guessing we're looking at an April release date for Android support. Perhaps during that cable show where they announced the Stream hardware last year?

7. Feb 25, 2013 #7 of 288
    button1066

button1066 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    It is a sign of advanced wit and intelligence to substitute scatalogical words for the names of products. Probably the same intelligence that lead to you buying a second rate iPad knock off instead of the real thing (joke!)

8. Feb 25, 2013 #8 of 288
    Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    What if there is a technical/legal reason why it won't work?

While I know that many people want andriod support (and yes I have both tablets), if it isn't in market yet, there is probably a good reason. It's not like they wrote and and just never bothered to release it. There is a reason, but none of us knows, so this is probably not the right place to vent. I'd go to tivo instead.

9. Feb 26, 2013 #9 of 288
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Dan stated it above

10. Feb 26, 2013 #10 of 288
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I realize it's a joke but I've used my friends iPads and iPhones before. There is no way I would want to use that over the Android tablets or Android phones I've owned. But to each their own. Everyone has their own preferences.

11. Feb 26, 2013 #11 of 288
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Really? I think you might ask Samsung if they consider their tablets to be mass market or not. Oh and by the way my Samsung tablet came with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and I have had it since last May.

12. Feb 26, 2013 #12 of 288
    NAMLOOT

NAMLOOT New Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I bought an iPad mini just so I could use the stream. I love the stream, but haven't been overly wowed with the iPad. Both operating systems boil down to preference, pricing, and content. A lot of the apps are cleaner and nicer on iOS, but performance wise, my wife's Nexus performs as well as the iPad.

In terms of the stream, we have young kids and can now watch our non-kid shows with them in the room. Headphone splitter and we can even watch together while they watch the big TV. Greatest TV invention IMO since you in essence get a roaming TV in your house.

I would think that TiVo could make a lot of money putting the streaming on Android, so it will happen. Netflix took forever on Android too.

13. Feb 26, 2013 #13 of 288
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I was never really that interested in the Stream so at this point I will likely just wait and see if they get a new DVR out the door that has the Stream functionality built into it. I am sure others will jump as soon as the software is available but the longer they take the more people will think like I do.

14. Feb 26, 2013 #14 of 288
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Second Rate LOL.

IOS is a second rate OS (incomplete) the rapid iCrap rollout of newer flavors in order to keep up with Android are evidence. I would never buy any iCrap, give me one, no I'd sell it. The entire Apple lock you into their market is anti-competitive. This was a big part of wht Apple never overtook the PC market. Mac's with their ZERO slot closed box design; not easily extensable with after market hardware add-on's forcing you to dole out ever increasing sums of cash for an entire new system.

15. Feb 26, 2013 #15 of 288
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That is the way computing is heading in general regardless of operating system. Sealed non-upgradable & hardly repairable devices. People seem to like the cell phone model of getting new hardware every 2 years - and so do the hardware manufactures.

16. Mar 1, 2013 #16 of 288
    m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    I thought I saw a Dish network ad on TV that they can stream to Android and iOS. Maybe time to switch?

17. Mar 1, 2013 #17 of 288
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If it does what you want it to then you should switch.

18. Mar 2, 2013 #18 of 288
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    For most people picking a pay TV provider also involves dealing with High speed Internet and perhaps a home phone. In my opinion normally Dish is a better value than cable when one just considers the Pay TV part, but it gets more complicated when you also look at high speed Internet and perhaps home phone.

19. Mar 2, 2013 #19 of 288
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    As of Q3 of last year Samsung only had ~18% of the total tablet market, and only some of their tablets had Android 4.0+. At the same time iOS had over 50% of the market and all of their devices supported HLS. And those are world wide numbers. In the US the numbers skew even more in Apple's favor. And since the Stream is a US only device that's relevant.

You have to remember there is a lag between development and release of this stuff. If you're developing a product for release in September of 2012 you likely started planning development for that device at least a year earlier. At that time Androids market share in the tablet space was tiny, and Android 4.0 was still brand new and not used on much of anything. And even on the day of release sales of Android 4.0 devices were still relatively small and they probably wanted to hold back development to see how well the device itself actually sold. By the holiday season they were able to see the Stream was a success and sales of Android 4.0 tablets were picking up so they announced, in November, that they started development of an Android app for the Stream. Unfortunately these things take time so it may be 6 months or so before it actually hits the market. If it's still not out by April/May then you have every right to be upset.

20. Mar 2, 2013 #20 of 288
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am not upset, personally all TiVo has done is likely save me from buying a Stream. I just think it was bad business. They are going to spend the same amount of money to develop the software but successfully pissed lots of people off. They really need to stop doing that.