1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are Series 2 Threads?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by keffer, Mar 22, 2013.

1. keffer

keffer New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Sorry!! Can somebody please point me to the TiVo Series 2 Threads?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    There are not many threads about Series 2 boxes any more.

Have you looked in the archives?

3. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I suspect most people "tech" enough to enjoy tivo have long since switched to HD. People who are currently using an S2 unit don't have questions or anything new to post.

Do you have a specific question? I'm sure members will try and help, even if they've long since abandoned the S2 platform.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I still have a few S2 boxes. They are sitting on a shelf because I don't have the heart to throw them in the trash.

5. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Same here, 3 Series 2 boxes with Lifetime sitting in my basement now.

6. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Same. 2 S2 DT boxes. Can't even give them away, literally.
    I just repost the same add to craigslist when it expires hoping that maybe someone will be interested.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have several unsubbed S2 units, including a S2DT, that are in my attic. They have no value but for some reason I can't seem to throw them away.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    To answer the specific question, *this* forum is by default for S1/S2, since the other fora are specialized to S3 & Premiere (S4) units.

So start a new thread and ask your questions.

To the rest of you who talk about "throwing away" units, I hope you RECYCLE them instead. The people with *lifetime* ones can probably find SOMEONE who has a use for them, even to control a cable box (as hokey as I personally think that is).

9. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I always pick up free TiVos when I see them on craigslist. I guess you have not been posting in the Denver Craigslist.

Someone did offer me a couple of Series 2 TiVos last month, but I couldn't go over the two days he wanted me to come get them, and he hasn't answered my messages since then.

A unsubed tivos can be used if their account hasn't been closed and also don't have the newest software, but with Series 2 lifetime TiVos going so cheap, it is not worth the trouble.

Anyone with a lifetime Tivo you can still sell it on eBay and Craigslist, or maybe even on the forum for privates sale on this website. No reason to let a lifetime Series 2 Tivo rot on the shelf! Even Series 1 Tivos still sell.

10. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    How do you get them off of your account? I would like to recycle a pair of S2's with lifetime but in case someone decides to keep them for themselves I hate for them to still be linked to me.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I have four S2 Tivos (two 540's, one 240, one DT) and one S1 Tivo that I know I should put on CL, even if just to give them away, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort to deal with 30 non-legitimate responses and flakes before someone is actually really interested but lives too far away and ultimately just becomes another waste of my time.

12. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Just drop them off at the thrift store.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Paired with a free DTA, an S2 is probably the cheapest option for a DVR with Cable TV. Especially if you have a small TV or a tube TV.

14. DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I'm still rocking with 2 Series 2 Tivos both with Lifetime. I paid for the service and I'm sure going to get use it as long they are working.

15. alansh

alansh New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm still using a lifetimed S2 to get around the copy protection on all of the non-broadcast channels. Yes, it's SD, but I'm mainly using it to transfer video to small devices.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I understand the idea, but I'd modernize by getting a Premiere with lifetime or even a used S3 or Tivo HD with lifetime and selling off the S2 Tivos to fund the upgrade.