Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tootal2, Jul 13, 2011.
Well, it is now 6 days, STILL no new GC update. Going back on the timer. Very strange.
Indeed it is... mine, after a few days of having the t/a off the timer, got back to back (two days consecutive) GC updates. Usually with timer on t/a GC updates every other day.
Can you guys check if your indexing date moves daily?
If it does change daily, but not your GC date then your GC is failing.
For me, I have 3 TAs on timers cutting power between 12:05 - 4:50 AM and I am getting daily GCs. (Usually done before 3 AM)
Yes, I have noticed the indexing occurs every day. GC every other day; usually in the 0300 hrs range.
T/A power off @ 0100; power on @ 0400 hrs daily.
Yes, me too. The indexing occurs every day. When I first started the timer, I would get a GC every day, but then it would start to skip and be every other day. My timer is off for about 4 hours a day from 5:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
I see that your timer is off about 5 hours a day. Maybe that's the difference. I'm not sure I have a reliable 5 hour window every single day that I could afford to have my TA off. I don't mind every other day - no big deal.
Edit: When I put it back on the timer today, I left it off until the GC update, since I had a good window of time. Took slightly over 4 hours. A call home was happening at the time I unplugged the TA - not sure if that had any impact on the GC time.
I experimented with 4 hrs off daily and I was getting daily GC about 70-80% of the time.
Btw, you could turn your TA on/off multiple times a day. GC doesn't stop, it just slows to a crawl while TA is on. (disrupting recordings multiple times a day would be a major drawback for this option)
Like others, I also noticed that time required for GC changes over time. I would have expected this to affect all 3 THDs in sync, but that's not the case. One of my THDs may take 2 hrs a given day while the other 2 would complete in 3+ hours. Then a week later another one would get done quick while the others take longer.
Anyways, I've been pretty happy since putting TAs on timers; have not had to reboot my Tivos (60+ days), no more issues with guide running out or S03 errors.
I've had this problem off-and-on with my my upgraded S3 w/ TA. Rather than pull the cables, I decided to setup iptables on my router to cut the tivos off from the outside for most of the week. We'll see how that goes and whether it fixes my problem. Will report back on what I found.
*My HD has never seen this problem, but it isn't upgraded, nor does it have a TA.
Thanks so much for the tips here. SUCCESS! Setting up my router to cut off the tivo except for Wed & Sat fixed the problem. Everything has been working for the last couple of days w/o any fails.
I first started having this problem in early October. With the help of this thread, I put my TA on a timer and everything went so well, I took the TA off the timer in the middle of November.
After two months, I am still running well without the timer. I get a GC every 18-36 hours. Indexing and cache updates are about the same frequency.
The only difference between October and now, that I am aware of, is my TiVo was very full in October. The "recently deleted" folder had one show in it, now it has 75.
S3 OLED, 1 TB, Motorola TA, Time Warner Cable in Dallas, Texas
I added a timer to my TA today. Let's hope that fixes the program update issue. What's odd is that my 2nd HD TiVo with TA does NOT have any problems receiving the program updates - no timer needed for that one.
Are either of your TiVos S3 OLED models?
No. Both TiVo HD units model TCD652160
Not much to say, just adding 1 more person to the crowd of affected users. I'm running a TiVoHD with (official) external expansion drive and a tuning adapter.
I'm attempting the TA and network unplug, wish me luck...
Power down the TA was/is the easiest, least confusing (for me) way to get GC to run and update guide data.
If you are running dd-wrt on your router, it is pretty easy to cut off the Tivos except for a couple of days / week. Of course you lose the ability to online schedule on short-notice, but otherwise it has been working fine for me for about a month now.
My GC says that it ran today after having everything unplugged for about 4 hours. Thanks for the tips!
If mine keeps acting up, the next thing I'm going to try is remove the backup power supply. When I got the upstairs unit, I connected it to backup & had lots of problems so I removed it & basically never had any more issues. The downstairs unit has been on a backup power supply for years with no issues. So now it has occurred to me perhaps that is my problem.
I left my tuning adaptor unplug all day by mistake. came home and tivo was locked up
Im sick this. soon as i get my new desktop built i will be switching to windows media center.
My S3 has been completing GC every other day for months, until this week.
Checked GC today and it says last completion was Monday...
I disconnected the T/A this morning and will leave it that way until this afternoon to see what happens.
Only thing I have done recently was shuffled the season passes around and add a few.
Also observed last night was 5 to 10 second lag time responding to remote commands. And, picture & sound hesitation while watching a recorded program.
1530 hrs Just reconnected power to T/A and checked for completed GC.
Success! Back in business...
We just got a new premiere...which means a new tuning adapter once it arrives fromTime Warner. I'm not sure if I'll start with a timer right off the bat or give it time and see what happens...