1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will Tivo allow a transfer to a new box again?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by magnus, Apr 18, 2014.

1. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I sure wish that Tivo would allow for transfer of old box to be box again (for a decent price).

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would guess never. It's not good for their income to do that.

3. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Probably never.. I think they don't even want to do lifetime subscriptions (and they went away for a while years ago), but only do it because many people, including me, would _likely_ not buy a monthly subscription... and originally, for people to do comparisons with ReplayTV (which had the price built into the box even more directly than a Tivo + lifetime subscription).

Yes, I'm leaving wiggle room, because if the price went low enough, I would pay monthly... But in general, I'd rather pay one price, in full, _even_ if it in effect makes me pay more (e.g. I pay lifetime for a box and I get a new box in 4 years.. I'm losing the interest on that money if the monthly happened to end up the same price overall.) That's even leaving off the resale value of lifetime.

4. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I'm not holding my breath, but a small sliver of hope is they seem to do the "right" thing when they brick your box or break something.

I figure eventually they'll want to get rid of their modem back end. Since they haven't done this already, I could be wrong on that.

Was mpeg4 channels for Series3 owners another example?.