1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will the next price cut on XL4 be?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by headless chicken, Aug 30, 2012.

1. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    For those of you have been tracking TiVo prices for years, could you please shed some insight on when we might expect the company or retailers to slash the price of the XL4? Perhaps around Thanksgiving/Holiday season time?

I'm thinking of investing in a XL4 before the fall TV season begins for the quad tuner capability. I currently have a Series3 with lifetime subscription that has been upgraded to record 300HD, but it only has 2 tuners. The unit also requires 2 cablecards, regardless of whether they are single or multistream, which adds an additional $50/yr to the cable bill.

As much as I love TiVo (I jumped aboard the bandwagon with my the highest capacity Series2), I'm also a savvy shopper and usually only buy a product that I want when I feel I'm receiving a really sizable discount or great deal. If I get an XL4, I'm probably going to want lifetime service for it, and those numbers really add

On a related note, does the XL4 require only 1 multistream cablecard for all 4 tuners?

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes just one multistream cablecard.

Nevermind, I see he answered it.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    FYI if you're looking for something cheaper TiVo just released a non-XL 4 tuner unit that's only $250. It has 1/4 the storage (500GB vs 2TB), but it'll save you $100 and you could take the 2TB drive out of your S3 and upgrade it yourself.

Dan

5. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The above link for Elite units (XL4 before the name change) is close to as good as it's going to get, in my opinion. With the just-introduced Premiere 4 at $250 (same thing as Elite/XL4, but with a smaller hard drive), the lineup for the holiday is pretty much set. I don't think prices are going to change at all before the TV season in a few weeks, and if retail prices dip any by the holidays, I don't think it'll be enough worth waiting for.

It might be possible to eek out a little more savings if you're fast enough to grab an occasional Elite sale at $300 (while stock still exists), but otherwise the above link is the way to go.

6. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Hmm, thanks for the advice. The regular size Premier won't meet my recording demands because I store shows for months before getting around to them. I also did not do the modification/replacement to my S3 hard drive myself.

Perhaps I should look into selling my Series3 with Lifetime to subsidize the cost of an XL4. How much would a S3 with 1TB internal drive with lifetime + backlit remote go for on eBay or Craigslist?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Selling and older lifetime unit to subsidize the cost of the new TiVo is the best way to upgrade. Making the purchase of lifetime service an even beter option since you get most of the value back when you sell it.

check on ebay for the going rates for lifetime S3 boxes.

8. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you are going to sell your S3, I'd advise you buy the XL4 first while the S3 is still on your account so you remain eligible for the Multi Service Discount.

9. pcbrew

pcbrew New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    DFW
    Will the Premiere Elite at the link above support the TiVo-mini extender or is a true XL4 required?

10. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yep it'll be supported.

11. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Elite is identical to the XL4, just a name change and a front plate swap with the new name. My TiVo Account lists it as an XL4.
    [​IMG]

FYI, I found it interesting that my Elite front plate does not have the THX logo, even though it supposedly is THX Certified and has the THX Optimizer Video.

Attached Files:

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    A true XL4 is an Elite. All they did was change the badge on the front of the box.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    My October launch Elite has THX written on the front plate. But my April Elite does not.

I just noticed this.

I guess I need to return it to BestBuy and exchange it.:D