1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Searching, Why Does Tivo List "Not Currently Available" Shows?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by eht, Dec 9, 2013.

1. eht

eht New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    When searching and filtering results, I noticed many of the results are listed as "not currently available". For example, I did an actor search on Jennifer Lawrence and it listed 22 TV shows and ALL were "not currently available". In fact, it listed her being on the Today on 11/21/12. Really, a show from 1 year ago that I have zero chance of seeing. I'm guessing it's listing all these shows so you can create a wish list. Well, on my wish list is to have an option to just list only currently available shows.

Just my $0.02.

2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I *thought* that some of them were on channels you don't receive (unchecked), but the Today show example stumps me. Other examples are sometimes On Demand only, though I wish you could make it so it only showed ones that were free (including ones that are "free" since you subscribe to the network).

3. eht

eht New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Most of the TV shows listed were way in the past thus are "not currently available". I didn't see anything listed that was on a channel that I didn't receive (like a premium channel).

4. brianle8

brianle8 New Member

May 10, 2015
    Bellevue, WA
    Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but as a new user I'm finding this issue puzzling. I click "info" on a movie I'm watching, get to the cast of the movie, pick out a particular actor, and then ask to look at shows that include the actor.

What I'm looking for, of course, are upcoming shows to record, or shows available to me via streaming (in my case via Amazon Prime) with that actor in them. What I get is a very large superset, where I iterate through movie after movie, the vast majority of which offer the text "not currently available".

Surely in a system as nice as Tivo is, there's a way to filter the output here to just those that are "currently available" ? No option buttons (a - d) are available in this context.

Am I missing something, or is this just a design flaw in the user interface?

I have a Roamio OTA.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You could do a wishlist search for the actor, then view upcoming episodes..
    (That's not what the original questioner did..)

I actually don't think it's unreasonable to optionally list not available things.. things like movies can show up again (though personally, I'd like to be able to exclude all commercial stations when searching for movies).

6. brianle8

brianle8 New Member

May 10, 2015
    Bellevue, WA
    Thanks, Mattack. The implication is that I'm not missing anything, the UI (as it is today anyway) just doesn't support what I want to do.

Just FWIW, I think it's plenty reasonable to optionally list not available things. What I find less reasonable is that, insofar as I can tell, this isn't optional. In the couple of cases I looked at, most of the many shows I would see listed for a popular actor were "not currently available".

I did think of the wish list. It seems like too many extra steps to do this as a regular thing (to include at the end having to delete the wish list that I don't want). Certainly seems like a good work-around, however, if there's a case where this is a "must have" rather than a "nice to have" bit of functionality.

To be clear, I mean no sarcasm in any of the above (!). I appreciate the feedback. As a new user it's easy to believe I might have missed something, so ... thanks.

7. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    I'm with brian on this. Showing so many shows that are "Currently Not Available" makes the whole list pointless as 95% of what shows up are not available and you have to select each one individually before you see its not available.

There should be an option to show only available.

8. bmcraig

bmcraig New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Has there been any update on this? I can't understand why I cannot filter out "not currently available" from shows, especially when the majority are "not currently available."

B. Craig

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So you can select the option to add a Wish List that will grab it if it's on at a later date.