1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheezy Waiter: A TiVo User Speaks Up

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1 of 13
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL

2. Jul 5, 2013 #2 of 13
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  3. Jul 6, 2013 #3 of 13
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am confused :confused: did I slip into an alternate universe where TiVo:
    1. Has a built in blu-ray player so I don't need a stand alone blu-ray player?
    2. Works like a HTPC for streaming sites like Hulu (and others) that don't work with normal streaming devices so I no longer need a HTPC?
    3. Actually has a full set of fully functional streaming services like Vudu, Amazon Prime Streaming, Netflix, and dozens of others that work well, so I no longer need another streaming device?
    :rolleyes: I didn't think so, until then this one device Bull S**t is just that.

4. Jul 6, 2013 #4 of 13
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Come on! It is called advertising! :cool: Stretching the truth a little is part of the game. FWIW, customer satisfaction and churn on the TiVo Premiere is actually pretty high.

I think the biggest issue right now is the lack of a working Netflix application and a streaming Amazon application. I have Vudu access on a number of devices but hardly use it.

Would adding Vudu to the TiVo platform really be a discriminator?

5. Jul 6, 2013 #5 of 13
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No need to be confused. You're just reading way more into it than was said. The only claim that he actually makes is that you can use the tivo for, tv shows, music, and web videos. The majority of it is just a bunch of meaningless filler.

6. Jul 6, 2013 #6 of 13
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My response was somewhat "tung in cheek" thus the alternate universe comment. The reality is I never expected nor ever expect TiVo to be anything near a "one box" option. However, I do believe that the "one box" marketing/advertising (even if it is only insinuated) is a terrible for TiVo because anyone with 1/2 a brain quickly finds out it is bull s**t, which I am guessing then gives people a pretty negative view of TiVo in general.

TiVo could become more of a streaming box than it is, but pretty much everything new (TVs, blu-ray, players, gaming consoles, plus stand alone streaming devices) streams and most do it "good enough" for the majority of the people, which is what I expect from the next hardware update from TiVo to provide; good enough streaming.

Given that I have streaming devices from 4 different manufactures and an HTPC attached to my main TV I really don't care what services TiVo offers, just think they should have more than average (that work well) as a premium device.

What I do like is being able to sub to pod casts and have them auto download to my TiVo, but I am afraid that model is not where TiVo is going which is disappointing to me.

7. Jul 6, 2013 #7 of 13
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Ugh. Just noticed this video is on the tivo.com homepage.

8. Jul 7, 2013 #8 of 13
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    TiVo needs to spend more time FIXING their product than trying to convince everyone it's a superior product by "stretching the truth"

9. Jul 7, 2013 #9 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Wheezy obviously didn't have to deal with using a Tuning Adapter and CableCARD on Time Warner Southwest Ohio.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Time for a new product then they can let the old product die.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    For what it does, the Tivo is fine - but I agree, the OTT capabilities are poor at best. (Maybe the new box will improve?)

As for blu-ray? Physical media is dead! :)

One thing I always liked about TiVo was the mostly community developed flexibility that it offered. Storing content on my home server and accessing it on demand was very cool...

It seems to me that TiVo is slowly becoming less friendly to that model. Time will tell.

.... I kind of like the advertisement FWIW

12. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I used to enjoy his videos back in his early YouTube days. I haven't seen any in a while.

Better than Tebow.

13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They should be able to have an OTT video experience as good as Roku. But they don't. However, I think they should focus on finishing/fixing the DVR experience first before they get distracted with more OTT stuff that can easily be fixed by plopping a Roku next to the TiVo Premiere.

That video is so unrealistic. The TiVo doesn't replace all the other boxes. My baseline setup, not including game consoles and legacy equipment, has a Roku, Apple TV, TiVo, HTPC, AVR, Blu-ray, and video processor.