1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with the crappy remote control

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Time_Lord, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    My rant -

Disappointed in TiVO's quality of the remotes, after a few months of use the printing on the buttons is wearing off.

With how long remote controls have been made you think TiVo could spend $0.50 to come up with a remote where the printing on the buttons won't wear off!

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I've been using Tivos for over 12 years and I've never experienced the problem you're describing. Series 1 2, 3, and Premiere Tivos as well as series 1, 2, and 3 directv tivos. Regular remotes, glo remotes and a slide remote. Never wore out the letters or numbers on any past or present remotes in 12 years.

3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The remote that came with my August 2012 Premiere has this exact problem, but my old Series 2 remotes that saw heavy use for at least 5 years are still good. If nothing else, there was a crappy batch of the basic peanut remotes.

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I've definitely had the writing come off on various remotes (including Tivos), but IMHO, Tivo remotes are BY FAR the best remote I've ever used in terms of actual usability..

Plus, after using them a while, you don't need the printing... just like you should be able to touch-type.. (only slightly joking on both of these)

5. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    All the lettering on the remotes that came with my 2 Tivo Premieres have rubbed off.

6. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Don't me started on useability, I find that I'm pressing buttons at the very top of the remote then going to buttons on the very bottom of the remote enough that I find it difficult to make my selections while holding it in one hand and selecting with the thumb of that hand because I need to shift the remote in my hand to make my selections.

The functions on the remote are fine, but the thought as to the button layout needs some serious rethinking, I swear some engineer laid out the buttons and decided what they will do on a dart board, in addition I think many of the buttons can be better used (reused) based upon what mode you are in.

Then again you can't please everybody all the time.

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The numbers wore off my old DTiVo remotes. But it wasn't a huge deal because I didn't really need to look at the remote to use it.

My TiVo HD remote (and now my slide remote) held up much better.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've got a peanut Glo remote that came with an S3 OLED unit with 1-2 button that is 6+ years old with nothing rubbed off and functioning fine, and it's used frequently (every day). So I'd say that's a pretty good remote. I think most subsequent peanut remotes have looked "cheaper" than the Glo remote.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Glo remote with the DVR 1/2 switch has the numbers molded in versus painted or silkscreened on. We're still using our original S3 OLED Glo remote and we've just barely worn the black off the edge of the fast forward button and you can see it's actually white underneath a layer of black.

Scott

10. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I complained to TiVo and I got them to replace one of the remote controls under warranty. Their tech support said I should press the buttons so hard. Unbelievable, but at least I got one of the remote replaced.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess you use the actual # keypad more than I do. Yeah, I seem to remember this is worse on the Premiere remote.. (The S1 remote, the keypad was easier to use with one hand.. and I have small hands.)

12. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Yeah I've been paranoid about this happening with my remotes because of my extreme heavy usage, that's why I spent the extra money on the Glo Premiere remotes. Believe me I feel your pain.

13. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Sorry if I am changing the subject, but this is the only thread I could find where Tivo remotes are being discussed.

I currently have three Tivos connected, two HD Series 3 and one Toshiba Series 2 with VCR. I use two peanut remotes, one controls one series 3 and the Toshiba units and is working fine. This remote is set to Remote Address 2 (Tivo Series 3) and 4 (Toshiba).

The other remote is set to Remote Address 1 and controls only the other Series 3 with the remote button on 1. This remote has ceased to work and I have ordered two new ones, but I need help now. I know how to change the remote address by simply using the remote while in System Information.

Problem is, I cannot even access Tivo Central on the Series 3 controlled by the broken remote. I rarely use the Toshiba unit and I would like to change the number 2 button to control the other series 3 (broken remote) unit.

Since I am unable to access, Tivo Central...System Information, on the unit controlled by the broken remote, is there some other way I can change button 2 on the good remote from address 4 (Toshiba) to remote address 1 (other Series 3)? Unless I can, I cannot use that Tivo at all.

Just hope my request is not too confusing.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Set one of the remotes to 0, that will control a Tivo set to ANY remote # in System Info to control it,

16. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Should have included this in my original question. I tried setting the working remote to 0 by pressing the Tivo button and Pause buttons together for several seconds. Nothing happened.

More information. As far as I know, the only way to change the remote address is to click a remote set to the desired address while in System Information. By switching the working remote between number 1 (Series 3) and 2 (Toshiba), I can set either or both addresses to address 2 or 4 but since the remote set to address 1 isn't working I am unable to reset the working Tivo button 2 (Toshiba) from address 4 to address 1.

17. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    A zero remote will control ALL numbered Tivos, so you would set a remote to zero, navigate on the cranky box the the system info page, then press 2 on it to set the Tivo, and then exit left to set it (if I'm remembering l vs r correctly) and move the remote back to 2

Remember that while the slide switch is labeled 1 and 2, those are not the channels, you can set each individually, so position 1 is CH3, and position 2 is CH7, etc

18. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Now I am confused by your mention of channel 7. I thought the only available addresses for remotes were 1 through 4.

I just held the Tivo and pause buttons once again. This time the red light came on and stayed lit for a fairly long time. Hoping the remote address was now rest to 0 I attempted to control the Unit formerly controlled by the broken remote. It didn't work.

19. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    0-9 are the available channels, but it's really not that hard, there's something wrong in the process if you're having this much trouble. You can spot a 0 remote because when you press info BOTH the other Tivos will have an amber receive light. You're having way WAY more trouble than would be expected on this, I have to wonder if you have something you think you're doing that you're not actually doing.

And your process above is missing a step
    Hold Tivo button and pause down until LED lights up
    Press 0 on the remote
    Remote blinks 3 or so times to signify done
    all listed on this page quite succinctly
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285

20. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Thank you so much, I am back in business again. Using my temporarily lost sense of logic, I finally realized that after Tivo + Pause I could use the numbers keys to set any channel. On the working remote, after using the 0 setting to get into the Tivo I could not control, I was able to reset the #1 button from channel 4 to channel 1 and leave the #2 button set to channel 2.

I can now control both units with the one remote. I prefer using two remotes for my own reasons and will return to that as soon as my new remotes arrive.

Nice name BTW. I used to spend ALL my summers at a house on the Jersey Shore where we became close friends with others there who had houses for the whole season. Being an incorrigible practical joker quickly earned me the title of Jack the Brat.<g>