1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the newest Tivo that still allows you to read captions as you fast forward?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rambler, Dec 23, 2013.

1. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks and Merry Cmas.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    None. I know it's a feature on some other DVRs, and some DVD players I think, but AFAIK TiVo has never done it.

3. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Dan, you are mis-remembering ;).

AFIK, Series 1 and Series 3 are capable of displaying close captions at 1x fast forward speeds. Don't now about Series 4 or 5, don't have either.

Perhaps someone with a Premiere or Roamio can test it for the OP.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    :up: FWIW, my TivoHD shows CC at 1x FF. Like you, I am unable to check anything newer, yet.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hmmm.... I don't remember that being an option. But I guess if the TV is doing the caption rendering then it wouldn't matter. At least not at 1x FF. At the faster speeds the CCs would likely be sporadic depending on which frames were being output. Although for the S3 unit that would only be the case if it was connected via component or composite. HDMI has no concept of captions. The signal has to be analog for the TV to decode captions.

That being said I just tested it on my Premiere connected via HDMI, so the software is doing the caption rendering and not the TV, and it does not work while FFing. Might if you connected via component or composite, but I don't have time to test that right now.

6. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    TiVo eliminated the FFx1 CC capability during a software update about 2 years ago, and at the time Margret said it would never be able to come back. This was a big disappointment to me.

7. JSY

JSY Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Confirmed - no go on the Roamio Pro.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, I believe that Tivo HD is the newest that will do it (at 1x FF).

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    The Series 3 still have this feature. Both the S3 and the HD do it.

When the Premieres came out, they also had it. My Elite did it. Then they had a software update (maybe 20.x.x.?), and lost that ability. It was a major update, a complete code rewrite, and the ability to display captions at FF1X was lost. And as 59er noted, Margret said it was not something they could add back. Ever. Very disappointing, as it was a feature I used daily.

For a long time I kept an S3 active just for this, but finally retired it when I bought a Roamio Pro.

It was the TiVo doing the work, not the TV. There was code that allowed captions to display at FF1X, no different than the way they regularly displayed.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder why they would take that away? Were there any other caption related updates in that release?

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd suspect that the loss of the 1xFF captioning was more an unintentional consequence of some other more major and fundamental architectural change, which is probably why they said it was gone and would never ever be able to come back.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    It's what Loadstar says. I remember conversing with Margret after this happened, and she said they had rewritten the entire code base that the newer TiVos operate under. And whether it was intentional or not, it was gone and ain't never comin' back.:mad::(

I could do a forum search and find the posts about this, but I'm too busy right now making up excuses for not having wrapped any presents yet.

13. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    Dan, it also works with a HDMI connection on the S3. It's the main reason my wife wants to keep the S3. I've done such things as copied programs from a Premiere to the S3 just to display captions during ff1. Some programs develop so slowly the only way we can tolerate watching them is with fast forward captions.