1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the new Survivor-like show?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TiVoJedi, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1 of 15
    TiVoJedi

TiVoJedi Member

Mar 1, 2002
    While entering the theater to see the new Trek movie I caught a glimpse of a preview at Cinemark for some kind of Survivor-like reality show starting soon where people are dropped off on an island with only water and have to survive while they hunt for a treasure. I didn't catch the name of it, nor what network is showing it. Anyone know what this is and when\where I can see it?

2. Jun 4, 2013 #2 of 15
    Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #3 of 15
  4. Jun 4, 2013 #4 of 15
    Waldorf

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ah, that seems more likely although I may try to catch the premiere of both. The Discovery show seems more survival-skill based whereas the TNT one seems like something they'd advertise in Cinemark. ;)

The 72 hours show, it appears the briefcase is tagged with GPS and they have a tracker? It's just a matter of finding it in time.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #5 of 15
    appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Reminds me a bit of "Lost". (No, not that"Lost".:))I mean the reality show called "Lost" that Conan O'Brien's company produced back around the time Survivor first came on the air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(2001_TV_series)#U.S._version

I likedthat show. It was an"The Amazing Race" competitor but more brutal. (No clues, no spending money. They just dropped you off somewhere in the world and it was up to you to figure out how to get back to the US.) Unfortunately it was a victim of 9/11 (as was the 2nd season of the Mole pretty much. It was a bad time for realityTV.)

6. Jun 4, 2013 #6 of 15
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Not to mention that it just doesn't sit well with most viewers to have Americans, being followed by a camera crew, trying to win a large cash prize, begging for money in places like Mongolia where the locals probably live on the equivalent of a few hundred dollars a year.

7. Jun 4, 2013 #7 of 15
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I'm in for both. I'll give them a shot.

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 15
    Waldorf

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow.. vague memories of this one. If I remember right, the team that won made it to a coastal town and got hired on a cruise ship and eventually made it back to the Statue of Liberty? The other teams were nowhere near finishing, so it wasn't a typical "exciting race to the finish" viewers might have been expecting.

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 15
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, it was much more about the adventure aspect of finding their way home than it was about the "race" aspect of trying to be first. Sure, first was the ultimate goal, but it wasn't like TAR where everything was planned and each episode starts with all the teams in the same place. It was literally remove the blindfold, the teams have no idea where in the world they are, they don't know which direction to walk, they have limited supplies, they don't know their partner, and they have to get to NYC as quickly as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(2001_TV_series)

10. TiVoJedi

TiVoJedi Member

Mar 1, 2002
    THANK YOU!

11. TiVoJedi

TiVoJedi Member

Mar 1, 2002
  12. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks for the head's up.

13. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
  14. hfcsyrup

hfcsyrup Member

Dec 12, 2012
    72 hours sounds decent. but so did that reality show last year on tnt..looking it up... the great escape?
    that was horrific. afraid to try another tnt show after that. but rich eisen didnt help

15. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC