1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the hold up with XFINITY OD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo Fool, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    Seems like the XOD roll-out is on pause. I don't think the list of cities on TiVo.com has been updated for 2 or 3 months. I'm selfishly interested in Atlanta :D and curious as to what the hold up is...

2. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    Sector 7G
    Nobody knows or at least whoever knows isn't talking. It's been almost a year since the rollout began in San Francisco so I understand and share your impatience.

3. jlobello

jlobello New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    It showed up in Philly suburbs last Nov without any notice. I think my family has used it all of twice. Both times where a recording got cut off or we forgot to schedule it. I instinctively tried to FF through the ads and remember that caused it to go back to the start of the show. It's nice but its not TiVo.

4. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Sounds like the hold up is on the Comcast side of things... does this require new equipment at the nodes etc?

5. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Nah, it probably just requires comcast to care :-(.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    That actually "could be" why it's not out there! It's had it's "hicups" and if they're actually attempting to get a "grip" on it then it's the right thing!

The last 4 - 6 day outage is/was a good example.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Now that I'm on Comcast Hell I use it. It's ok but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I don't know if it requires new hardware, but it does require at least software updates in the nodes to allow the VOD control commands to come over the Internet rather than back upstream on the cable, as they do with the set-top box.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 30
    gothaggis

gothaggis New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    yeah it's annoying. They list it being available in Maryland, however it is not available in Baltimore. It's frustrating.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Were we promised a larger roll out than has already taken place?

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'm pretty sure we weren't promised anything.

And we're certainly getting it.:cool::mad:

12. drebbe

drebbe Carbon Blob

Apr 11, 2012
    Sector 7G
    The TiVo CEO has been quoted as saying the plan was to rollout to Comcast's 15 largest markets. That remark was essentially an offhand comment on an investor call and not a promise. But I do think it will come eventually to places like Chicago, Atlanta and Houston, but the rollout is proceeding on what i call "TiVo twin time". You see TiVo management is actually on a spaceship traveling near the speed of light. To them little time has passed but to those of us on Earth.....

13. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Not really relevant.

What has Comcast promised? It is dependent upon them before fingers can be pointed at TiVo.

14. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I am in the Atlanta area and was hoping for this months ago for my Premieres, but at this point, I have totally given up on it and not expecting it to come to our market anytime soon. Not to mention how I have heard there are still so many bugs in it anyway. If you are in a large Comcast market and it hasn't come yet (i.e Chicago, Atlanta, Baltimore, LA, etc.), I would just move on at this point and not expect to have it. If/when it does arrive for you, it will be a pleasant surprise. ;)

15. Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm in south east Michigan and just happen to notice it in my menu and it works great. I don't know when it became available.

16. TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    Could the delay be related to Comcast's roll-out of their X1 platform in Atlanta? Maybe they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. :D

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They certainly can't get the X1 to work reliably, just had a complete outage of all of them this week and it's buggy as hell anyway.

I'm not counting on my Tivo getting VOD anytime soon, just like we all thought when the combo of Tivo and Comcast was involved.

18. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    The existing roll out is actually much larger than I had expected when that PR came out a few years ago.

19. TiVo Fool

TiVo Fool Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Fayetteville...
    It may be larger in terms of the number of cities, but as drebbe pointed out there are some huge Comcast markets that have been left hanging.

20. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    at least Comcast has ondemand via Tivo Cox still hasn't launched it anywhere and they announced before Comcast.