1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between transfering and MRS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ajwees41, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    Why can I watch a show on a premiere while transferring from a different premiere and it plays fine, but if I try to use MRS to watch the show while it's live it looses the connection?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    MRS does very little buffering and hence requires a very solid network connection between units which is why TiVo does not officially sanction wireless networking for MRS as it can be too troublesome for most users. If any part of your connection between TiVos is wireless that would explain your problem.
    I'm using MoCA bridging between TiVos and it works great. So much so that I never use MRV anymore.

3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    so watching it while transferring that uses buffering right?

4. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yes because the show is transferring to your watching device and then displaying to the TV from there

5. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    You can't transfer copy protected content, thus the need for streaming. Streaming wirelessly on a 5ghz band network works well. Either 5ghz N or the new AC as most people have no 5ghz equipment, 20mhz channels don't overlap. Of the three addresses I've lived since upgrading to dual band I've never seen another 5ghz network to compete with and see consistent 270Mb connections. The new AC standard brings gigabit to wireless.