1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats going to happen to tivo when charter changes is channel lineup tonight?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tootal2, Apr 20, 2012.

1. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Charter is changing its lineup tonight. its moving channels around. do i need to delete all my season passes and redo do them? charter says i might need to reset the tivo.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    As long as your Tivo has the updated information, your SP's will record on the new channels. SP's are not channel number specific, they are channel identifier specific. So whatever data identifies BBCA, will follow it to whatever channel number it happens to be on.

You may have to repeat guided setup to get the new channel lineup once it's available.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That is hardly ever the case. Of course people often will run it because they don't see the new channels right away. Then they end up selecting a temporary lineup that will disappear in a week or two and it just causes more problems. For the most part, Charter is pretty good about getting their changes to Tribune in a timely manner.

4. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Unless the added/moved channels are premium channels (like HBO, Showtime), TiVo boxes automatically add new or moved channels to its channel lineup. That's always been the case for me. Season passes should not have to be modified or updated.

5. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Correct, but it does happen which is why I said "may have to..." rather than "will have to..."
    It is not uncommon for a cable co to change the name of a lineup when they make significant changes. In these cases it is necessary to repeat guided setup or now that I think of it, there is an option to change just the lineup. However, the point is that the user may have to do something other than just wait to get the new lineup on their tivo.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Charter rarely if ever does that however. I believe it is Comcast who is the worst offender. Most likely it is in the way they deal with Tribune.

7. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Keep in mind that the Tivo probably won't recognize the lineup change exactly at midnight, or whatever time they do the cutover. You usually get the new lineup after the first call after the change. So depending on when your Tivo phones home, it could be delayed as much as 24 hours.

If you don't have the new lineup, I would force a call/connection to download fresh data. Then give it a few hours to update its guide.

8. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    tivo updated the guide but charter has not upgrade the channel lineup so i cant record on most hd channels. but im getting more hd channels:)

9. cptlapcat

cptlapcat New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pasadena, Ca
    That is what happened to me two weeks ago in Southern California. Tivo changed the guide to reflect nine new HD channels and a week or so later the changes took place from Charter. I didn't even know that I was going to get the new HD channels. I just thought the Missouri area was going to get them. Since the original update I have received a few more HD channels. Boy am I happy with Charter.:)

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    "Rarely ever" means that they do do it. ;)

I said that something was possible. You admit that it is, so I don't get why you need to be doing this.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The "if" that you omitted from the quote is important. "rarely ever" is not the same as "rarely if ever". The former says that they have occasionally done it. The latter says that it is possible that they have never done it.

12. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Ok sorry I missed that.
    So now it's that he doesn't know, but keeps going on about it anyway. That's much better.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I've had Charter for over 10 years and since I have been a member of this forum for almost 8 years I have never once seem them do this on Charter except cases where Charter markets were bought by another company or Charter bought up a small cable company. I do think telling people to run Guide Setup is only likely to cause more issues than them letting things take care of themselves which is likely to happen.