1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a decent to good signal strength for channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by samsgood, Aug 1, 2012.

1. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Just installed a TIVO premiere with my optimum cable card here in Brooklyn NY and I was wondering what a good signal strength is for channels?

I did a few tests on a regular broadcast network, a cable channel, and then a premium channel.

My results were basically in the 77-89 range for the three. Is that ok or should results always be in the high 90's?

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ideally, for signal strength, you would want it between 85-95 on each of the tuners. Generally the higher the channel frequency, the lower the signal strength.
    Minimum for a 2 tuner Premiere is probably 70-75,
    Elite/XL4 needs 80-85
    ------------------------------------
    The ideal SNR level would be 30 - 40dB on QAM 256

The ideal signal level in dBmV is going to be 0 to 10 dBmV.
    Technically anything between -10dBmV and 10dBmV should be acceptable, but SNR (Signal-to-Noise) also has to be factored in.

IMO
    -5dBmV to -3dBmV is barely acceptable
    -2dBmV to 0dBmV is acceptable
    0dBmV to 2dBmV is good
    2dBmV to 5dBmV is great

3. samsgood

samsgood New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    TY very much. :)

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I use my Premiere for OTA and I have 3 channels with signals in the upper 30's (to low 40's at best) and have no issues.

5. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    I have 3 new XL's used for OTA only. The signal strength meter shows green at 50 and above, yellow 40-49 and blue (ghost!) 39 and below. I have 2 channels in the low 40's usually (high VHF, digital 11 & 13), the rest are high 50's up to 85+.

My signals breakup below 40 and seem to be OK above that. I consider 50 and above to be safe (probably won't dip below 40 at any point), although I get nervous if the signal dips below 50. So, the color coding of the signal strength "bar" is an accurate indicator of good signal for me.

I have severe multipath problems (only with the TiVo's OTA tuners) which may account for your getting acceptable results below 40! This is, however, a subject better suited to another thread.