1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will Comcast charge if I use a Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by prisk, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1 of 48
    prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Let me start by saying I despise Comcast and the exorbitant fees they charge for a cable box or cablecard ($9.95). I have 2 cable boxes in the house and 3 cablecards. The way they are allocated means I pay $9.95 x 3 for 2 boxes and 1 cc, plus $1.15 for a Cc installed in a 2-card Tivo S3 (to get them to acknowledge that price, which is on their website, required a complaint to the Illinois Attorney General's office, but it worked, and they even refunded 18 months worth of overbillings). But enough of my rant. Here is my question:

If I get a Roamio Plus and 3 TiVo Mini's (total of 4 TV's in the house), will I pay:

a) $0 for the boxes/CC since the first is free and there is only 1 CC in the house
    b) $9.95 for a "digital outlet fee"
    c) $29.85 because I have 3 devices getting signal, even though only one actually has a CC in it (assuming first one is free)
    d) $39.80 because CC wants to charge for every TV in the house
    e) something else, because Comcast has no idea what to charge and will make it up as they go along

Any thoughts? (and yes, I know to set this up is expensive initially, but I'd rather pay it to TiVo than Comcast).

2. Sep 5, 2013 #2 of 48
    Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I'm afraid I would have to go for (e) based on my experience of Comcast. The good news is they won't even know you have the Minis, so all you will pay is whatever they charge you for the Plus.

3. Sep 5, 2013 #3 of 48
    Bryan Lyle

Bryan Lyle Tivo'n since 1999

Feb 6, 2002
    Middle of...
  4. Sep 5, 2013 #4 of 48
    jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    Why would Comcast even know that you have Minis? They will charge you for the device that is hooked up to their system with a CC and nothing for Minis or PCs that you use to download stuff from your TiVo or anything else not related to them.

I don't even understand the question.

EDIT: Actually the first CC is usually included in your package, so A. I got stuck on wondering why you worried about the minis.

5. Sep 5, 2013 #5 of 48
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    a). The bonus of using the Mini. Though, this depends if your package includes a box. Comcast will not even know about the minis.

6. Sep 5, 2013 #6 of 48
    Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    The only comment I would make to those saying "A" is that I would not put it beyond Comcast to start charging a fee based on the number of tuners activated on the cablecard.

7. Sep 5, 2013 #7 of 48
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Comcast does not know you have the Minis and won't charge anything for them. What you pay for that one cable-card is up in the air though. In my case I don't pay for the 1 cable-card in my house, but I do get nicked with the BS "HD outlet" charge of $8.99 for that 1st cable-card which Comcast insists it also charges if I have their cable box and the same programming package.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #8 of 48
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    They would be stupid to do that, because the FCC would hand them their ass.

9. Sep 5, 2013 #9 of 48
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Comcast may not the best cable co (I don't know who is) but they will not be charging for each tuner used on a cable card, or charge you for each recording made. I will say that in CT Comcast does a great job for most of its customers.

10. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    What rule would they be breaking?

11. prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    An interesting side note: on the Tivo S3 (2 cablecards) and S4 (1 CC) I have HD, but not on the S2 (which uses a box) or the 4th TV which does not have a TiVo, just a standard cable box (no HD). They do not charge me for HD (an additional $16.99 per month) on a cablecard device.

So, although I am presuming (and hoping) for A, I lend credence to the person who states that Comcast might start charging based on the number of tuners enabled. Based on their past history, It sounds like something they'd do.

12. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I had a Comcast cable box and a TiVo Premiere. I was being charged $9.95/month additional outlet, $2.95/month for CableCARD, and $9.95/month for an HD Technology fee.

I took the Comcast cable box back, upgraded to a Roamio Pro (with 4 Minis), and called Comcast to see what changed. I'm still being charged the CableCARD fee (even though their website says the first one is free; apparently they changed this about a year ago to start charging for it). I get a $2.50/month credit for my own equipment, and the $9.95/month digital outlet fee and the $9.95/month HD Tech fee were dropped.

I haven't received my first bill yet to verify this, but this is what the account representative said would occur.

13. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    FYI, when I called to get the CableCARD fee knocked off (after pointing it out on their website and arguing for hours), my CableCARD stopped working. They only way they could get it to work again is to charge the fee. I finally threw in the towel.

14. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    They are required to have cable cards billed and work the same as their own provider equipment that they lease to customers. This is very easy to find, and there are huge threads about it.

So, if they wanted to charge for every tuner slot on a cable-card, they would need to make the same changes to their own mult-tuner DVR boxes.

15. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Fair enough, but I wouldn't put that beyond them either! The problem with Comcast is the center seems to have very little control over the local management; as a result, somewhat irrespective of policy set by the center, the local management does seem to just make stuff up. See for example the many, many thread on HD technology fees, digital outlet fees etc.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Well, it's not as easy as "local management" change with something this complex. It would require software on the back end that could figure out how many tuners on the CC you were using as well as updates to the billing software to account for them.

That's not a "local management" decision, that's a corporate decision and at the corporate level they are very aware of what they have to do to comply with the FCC.

Comcast, like other providers will tolerate cablecard until they can defeat it or move away from it. It's in our best interest if TiVo is able to get something like IPTV working with Comcast and others and then at that point CC is gone but perhaps they charge per "stream" you get simultaneously.

In any event, all of that is at least a few yrs away.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They couldn't do that even if they wanted to. CCs are one way, meaning the cable company can communicate with them but they can not communicate with the cable company. So there is no way for the CC to report how many tuners it's supporting back to the cable company, and as such no possible way for them to charge per tuner. Plus there are laws in place limiting how much they can charge for a CC rental.

18. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Comcast is littered with legacy conditional access and billing systems. And yes, these are generally under the complete control of local management. That's why there is so little consistency in billing practice across regions. The number of tuners activated is right there in the cablecard settings screen which they already have remote access to. Not saying I think they will do something, just that it wouldn't be hard.

19. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Well, their system is set up to charge a fee and offset by providing a credit.

20. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I didn't know that. I stand corrected. I could have sworn the guy who paired my cablecard to my new Roamio said he could see at his end that it had worked.