1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were they thinking?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by k2ue, Sep 19, 2013.

1. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    What was TiVo thinking when the they decided weak IR performance was OK, because they would also have a fast RF remote -- that nobody else supports with a universal remote AND is non-learning??? And you can't buy extra proprietary remotes. WTF?

2. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The Roamio does support other remotes, it works with all universals and recognizes IR signals from my Harmony One without much fuss. If you don't get enough of a signal to it you can contemplate plugging in an IR USB relay, etc, to improve the performance.

I imagine that 99% of users will only use the RF remote anyway, and only one of them.

3. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    And you will be able to buy extra remotes eventually I imagine and that is even if you exclude the Roamio Slide remote.

4. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I actually prefer the fast RF remotes that come with Dish and now the Tivo, over a Harmony One. Main reason I have a Harmony is to turn everything on and off at once, ease to change input, and WAF (mostly this). I tend to use OEM remotes.

5. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    How well things work is more subtle: My ceiling mounted Epson projectors have always been less reponsive that my other gear, but system on/off worked OK if you favored the Epson when pointing. Now I have two fussy devices, and you can't favor both. All my other gear is way more sensitive. I also note the the Roamio "Epson" TV Power code will NOT power switch to 5020, so using the Roamio Remote alone is not really an option.

6. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    So plug in a $5 USB IR extender and bring it up to a more central location in your setup.

7. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Got it, the Roamio is perfect in every way, fanboys only welcome.

8. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Really? Go figure there would be TiVo fanboys on a site like this. ;)

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Wow. Where did you see that? I'll remember that next time you ask a question... oh, right, you're just here to *****.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That seems like a fairly harsh response to someone giving you a potential solution to your problem, even if his response seemed a little flippant to you. The fact that your TiVo doesn't work well with a non-TiVo IR remote where you have placed it may or may not mean the Roamio's ability to be used with IR remotes is at fault. My Roamio works just fine with my Premiere's IR remote 15+ feet away.

11. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    No one actually saw fit to acknowledge the factual content of my first post:

1. The Roamio is less sensitive to IR -- others have noted this, not just me.
    2. No spare remotes are available.
    3. There is no learning mode on Roamio remote, and it does not operate some devices comonly used with TiVo's

IR repeaters are great when your equipment is totally hidden, but when it has some direct exposure there are multipath and oscillation problems. And there is no "$5" repeater.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you are willing to take the cover off your Roamio you can add some black tape to hold the IR Plexiglas tube closer to the mounted motherboard IR receiver, worked for me.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Interesting so is this just a Plus/Pro issue? My basic Roamio seems to work fine with IR.

14. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    I wasn't anxious to open up a new unit, but that is the most constructive suggestion I have received, so I will do that. Thanks.

15. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Could be -- the case and front panel are different.

16. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    My IR remotes going back to 2004 work 15feet away just fine.

I cannot get my Plus remote to turn on my 2008 Sony tv but it will turn it off an control volume.

17. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah, clearly a design flaw with the IR receiver.....the Roamio is much less sensitive than most any other device I've seen. Even with a good universal remote and new batteries.....we still experience issues with button presses if we are pointing directly at the unit.

Interesting about opening the cover......not sure I want to go that route quite yet. Does that void the warranty?

-Kevin

18. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Only if you admit to actually doing it...
    ;)

19. ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I really like the responsiveness of the new tivo RF remote. However, I prefer even more having a single remote to control everything.

The One has always been slower than manufacturer-provided remotes. But the total solution wins for me (and especially my wife)

20. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Having used both the plus and the base with my sony universal IR remote for the last couple of weeks there maybe something in this OP. I have found that the base just seems to work better and seems more responsive to my universal remotes IR commands. There's being times when the plus just seems to have gone to sleep and it takes a few remote button presses to get it going. My experience so far at least.