1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what universal remote are you using?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by panthers1521, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1 of 22
    panthers1521

panthers1521 New Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Hey what universal remote are you using or do you find works best with TiVo Roamio? I am using a Harmony 650 which works pretty well. I would use the standard remote but i use a sound bar and to turn the sound bar on separately everyday would get annoying plus i need to keep it simple for the wife. I just want to see if there are better options out there. Thank you.

2. Feb 2, 2014 #2 of 22
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You know you can program the TV power button to turn on both the TV and the sound bar? That's why all the TV codes start with 0 and all the receiver codes start with 1. It can hold both.

I use a Slide Pro most if the time, but have a Harmony 680 I still use for other devices.

3. Feb 3, 2014 #3 of 22
    takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    ^ This. Plus, define "better". My MX-980 works better for me but may not for the next and is probably overkill if all you need is to control your soundbar. Don't overlook prior threads on universal remotes. They may not be Roamio-specific but can be useful resources.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #4 of 22
    gt5059b

gt5059b New Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I got a Logitech Harmony Ultimate for Xmas. Probably one of the best upgrades I've ever had. It's a life saver; when you have 4-6 devices to control and line of sight is an issue. I was very surprised at how easy it is to set it up with their online software.

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 22
    TonyBlunt

TonyBlunt Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Using iRule on cheap Android tablet and an iPhone - totally customisable for all my devices. Probably will also get an iPad and put it on that too.

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 22
    squiddohio

squiddohio New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Ohio
    From various places around the house I use MX-850, MX-890 and MX-980. The MX-890, by Universal Remote Controls, is surely one of the best remotes available, but using such a sophisticated (and expensive) device to turn on and off a sound bar is like using a chain saw to cut butter. However, if your system includes games, DVD players, and other switching devices which benefit from macro execution, it is the best way to go. It can even control the lights and the shades in the room if you want. It will not serve tea at 4, however.

7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 22
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    On the Roamio regular remote? I thought you would need the Slide Pro to do that.

We have a Harmony 700 but we don't use it anymore except turning the system on/off, and occasionally if we need to switch to the Xbox/PS3... 99% of the time I just use the peanut. We used to have more devices that needed complicated setups (we went through the 880, the One, and now the 700), but over the years our setup has gotten simplified.

I'd love it if you can program the regular peanut to power on the TV and receiver!

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 22
    KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
  9. Feb 5, 2014 #9 of 22
    laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I guess I am not really seeing how to do power to both the TV and the receiver from those instructions.

I already have it set up to control the receiver's volume, but have never bothered to do the TV power button because those instructions did not say how to also power on the receiver.

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Yes, the instructions do not say how to do it. That's been an often complained about problem for many years. TiVo should fix this.

You can do it, but I've forgotten whether you just put in the AV code, or whether you follow the same instructions as you do for the learning remotes - I think it's the latter. See http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL29LQWJZYU1s
    or search for the page titled "Using the Learning Feature of TiVo Learning Remotes"

11. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
  12. KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
    Yes, as I recall, the codes start with a different digit...

That tells the remote that you don't want to replace the other code, just add to it.

Doing it via the tivo menus actually takes you through the entire process for both codes.

13. MARKPIE

MARKPIE New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    My problem is the Peanut / Tivo codes offered this way won't operate my sound bar, neither will the manual code search so I'm gonna try the slide pro once they're back in stock.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You hold TiVo and Power until the light stays on, enter the TV code, then repeat and enter the AV code. The TV codes all start with 0 and the AV codes all start with 1 so they do not overwrite each other.

You only need a learning remote if you have a TV or AV receiver that is not supported by the default codes or if you need to control 3 devices. (the learning remotes have 3 slots per button instead of 2)

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Yes, the main hangup is the TiVo peanut WON'T power an A/V receiver on/off...it'll control the volume but it's useless without powering the receiver on and off. I will try the "learning" process tonite, but my bet is that it won't work...

EDIT -- And, of course, I've been proven wrong. I used the process posted by CrispyCritter in post #10 and it worked great. I just hit 1 before pushing the TV power button, then pointed my Denon receiver's remote at my peanut remote, and it learned the power command fine. Now when I hit the TV power button on the peanut, it turns on both my Panny plasma and my Denon receiver. Of course, I'll hardly ever use it since I have a Harmony One....

16. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I tried this first, but it doesn't. It only does the TV, same as the online instructions. Which is why I never thought you could do more than one.

Once I had found the TV code though, I just redid the same TiVo+Power and receiver code and it worked fine.

Can't believe they don't actually tell you this anywhere!

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They use to on the Remote setup page. But when they added the options for Advance and Pairing they shortened the descriptions.

18. KevinG

KevinG Member

Sep 3, 2003
    Mt. Laurel, NJ.
    Ah, that explains it. It's been quite some time since I've had to do it...didn't realize they changed it in the meantime.

19. Al-Mann

Al-Mann New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I use Control4 for my remote.
    I think it works best for everything. ;)

20. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Harmony 900 does it all - and even has thumbs up and thumbs down icons. Also controls my Roku and Playstation 3