1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I watch while working out?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Philosofy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Over the past year or two, I've watched the following on my iPad:
    LOTR Trilogy
    All Harry Potter films
    All Marvel Avenger film preludes
    All Star Wars films
    Arrested Development
    Journeyman
    Dr. Who (Christopher Eccleston to present)

I started True Blood, but stopped because it has some nudity, and felt uncomfortable watching it on the elliptical at the Y where kids could see.

So, knowing my tastes from above, what do you guys recommend?

2. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    I found "24" to be an incredible motivator. It definitely gets the adrenaline going, and the best part is, since every episode ends in a cliffhanger, it makes you want to come back the next day!

3. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Star Trek TNG
    Alien/Aliens
    Firefly

4. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    All great suggestions. I forgot to mention I also watched Firefly and Serenity. I should also add Buffy to the list.

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess you watch much more 'in depth' shows than I do.. I tend to watch semi-interesting but not-deep shows, since even walking on the treadmill makes me zone out sometimes.. Currently I'm mostly "going through" the saved up Revenge episodes.

Jeopardy! is one exception to the 'not deep' shows rule, and I save up a few, and watch them every couple of days (I walk enough that I go through 2-3 in one walk).

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    La Femme Nikita (the show)
    Stargate SG-1 (only the first episode has nudity, IIRC)

7. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was going to suggest Dr. Who but you already said that. :)

8. brebeans

brebeans New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Breaking Bad...keeps you coming back for more! And, you're so into the episode that you forget how much time has gone by while you're working out...or, better yet.....you want to continue working out because you haven't yet finished an episode!

9. Squeak

Squeak An Inert Gas

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    I went through the entire Entourage series (had to be careful of the nudity on that one as well) and am not moving through ER.

I tried Empire Boardwalk, but the violence and nudity really make it difficult.

10. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Battlestar Gallactica (series)
    GATTACA (movie)
    Westworld (movie)

*** It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (series... IMO perfect for working out)

11. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    My elliptical workout shows tend to be light entertainment that others in the family don't watch that fit a 40 -45 minute workout.
    Eureka and Haven are two perfect shows. They occupy the mind while not requiring total concentration.

Fringe started out as an elliptical show, then it got so good it became a site down and watch closely show.

Breaking Bad, is too good to waste while working out.

Lately I have been swimming laps for 45 minutes every other day instead. Not sure I can keep it up. It is so boring going back and forth with total sensory deprivation. But it is a pretty great total body workout.

12. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
  13. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    The first time I watched The Wire it was every day on the bike at the gym. Some nudity in that though.

I'm currently rewatching The West Wing as I ride. I'm thinking I'll give The Shield a try once I'm done with TWW.