1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Series 2 TiVo worth

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dadrepus, Sep 29, 2013.

1. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I have one without service contract. Worth activation or just reselling?
    Damn spellcheck!!!!!!

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Somewhere in the area of zero $, unless you find someone who needs some parts.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I picked one up for $9 recently. Possibly I overpaid.

4. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    What if it has a lifetime sub?

5. DUSlider

DUSlider Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    It might be worth something to someone with a series 2 with a lifetime sub that just died...

6. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I have two in my house, spare bedroom and laundry room...working as backup machines in case the mains has a hiccup.....still rolling along, still have a purpose

7. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If it is one with the white face, you can use it as a night light. Or if the account hasn't been closed, use it as a security camera DVR.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have 4-5 unsubbed S2 units sitting in my closet. As far as I can tell they're worthless.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    A lot more. Check eBay completed listings to get a sense of what they're going for. I'm seeing a few sold at $100, others at $40...

Personally, though, I only have the two Series 2 units that I now have, so that I can provide some support to the people out there who use my software and still have a Series 2. I have no analog channels, and haven't had for years. And the 2DT I just got is even more useless than the 540, since it won't do an antenna lineup even with an external box -- it has to have a cable box.

10. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    You can set up a DT TiVo for Dish and use a PAL dish antenna converter box. The TV line up isn't all correct, but it is still useable for those unemployable without funds.

11. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Sports coaches are using old TiVos here in the Denver metro area for 30 second time shift recorders to show the students what they looked like.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Someone who knows how to unsolder and solder Surface Mount Devices can take the crypto chip (which holds the TiVo Service Number, to which a lifetime sub is tied) and move it to another of the same model motherboard in an S1 or S2 or the original OLED S3, thus repairing the lifetimed TiVo by replacing not the power supply or hard drive but part (okay, all but one Integrated Circuit) of the motherboard.

When it calls in with the lifetimed TSN, as far as the TiVo server is concerned, it's still the same lifetimed unit.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Like Dan, I have a four S2 Tivos as well as an S1 and a ReplayTV sitting around unused. I find that they are neither worth activating and paying for service nor are they worth the hassle of selling. Since they can't legally go into the trash, I've found that the most economical thing to do is to just let them sit.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Well if there are any sports coaches in the Carson City, NV area that want one let me know. They can swing by my house and I'll give them one. I considered offering them up for free on the forum, but I just don't have the time or inclination to box them up and ship them even if the recipient paid for shipping.

15. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Just drop them off or have the local thrift store come and pick them up. They will sell them or recycle them.

16. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    :up: I got my 2DT at a thrift store.

Also, although it makes me sad to suggest it, Best Buy would probably take them for recycling. (They take old computers, TVs, etc.)