1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a PC?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003

From the article:

I used to agree with this assessment, but over the last year or so, after using my tablets (Android and iPad) and my smartphone as much or more than my home PCs (not including work PC here), I've come to the conclusion that MY definition of a PC has changed. I probably argued against this in another thread, but I'm now in the camp that agrees that Apple is the largest PC maker, on the strength of their mobile devices.

What say you? Should make for some interesting Friday chatter :D
  2. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    Ooops, meant for Happy Hour thread.

Superop or whoever, please move...
  3. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    I agree with the x86/64 criteria, though a Mac does not exactly fit that criteria, but still a "PC" for me.

Not a PC:

Netbooks, though very near the PC line
  4. allan

allan Can't think of one

Oct 13, 2002
    I'd consider the netbooks to be PCs, just rather underpowered and crappy ones. However, I don't consider the Chromebooks to be PCs.
  5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Strictly speaking, a Mac is a PC, but in common usage people make a distinction between the two...
  6. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    I stopped caring what he had to say when I read "And yes, the Mac is just an overpriced PC." If you can't put aside your hatred for Apple long enough to make an entirely unrelated point I won't bother listening to you.
  7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    Forgetting what he said in the article though, what do you consider a PC?
  8. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Old school computer science guy here... PC is a Personal Computer intended to be operated by an end user with no intervening computer operators. I consider workstations, desktops, laptops, nettops, netbooks, tablets, etc. to be categories of Personal Computers.

Edited to add: A few years ago, there was an "Get a Mac" marketing campaign intended to highlight he differences between Apple Computers and "PCs". While many of them were targeted at Windows and it's new Vista Operating System, some were hardware based, as in the one where "PC" is in a wheelchair because someone tripped on his cord while Mac mentions his magnetic power cord feature. Later in 2008, Windows released the "I'm a PC" campaign to further confuse matters. At the time, I argued the ads should have gone with Justin Long saying, "I'm a Mac" and John Hodgman would say, "and I'm not."
  9. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    wrong forum so BIH Fox?
  10. efilippi

efilippi New Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Wasn't the acid test whether it could run Flight Simulator?
  11. Polcamilla

Polcamilla Still up here... TC Club

Nov 7, 2001
    I don't think the label "PC" has any real-world relevance anymore, so I wouldn't even bother arguing the definition and explicitly stating which things are PCs and which aren't. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to the person using the tech.

I do think we could make a distinction between on-board capability and networked capability (eg. smartphones that are bricks when they aren't able to connect to the network to supply content) but even that isn't terribly important in day-to-day usage.
  12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
  13. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012

consoles (xbox, ps3) are not pcs
    macs are not pcs
    iPads and tablets are not pcs

even though all of the above can play some sort of game, they are not pcs

for it to be a pc you have to be able to order the parts and build it yourself,
    you have to be able to install Steam on it and play Diablo 2, Portal, Minecraft and a variety of mmos

Macs are almost pcs, but not quite
  14. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Uhh, what? Macs are x86/64 and can run BOTH 64 bit and 32 bit apps/frameworks. AFAIK, you have to purchase a separate version of Windows to do 64 bit.
  15. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Vegas Boy TC Club

Apr 2, 2001
    A Mac isn't a PC. It's a Mac. A PC runs something that isn't MacOS.
  16. AeneaGames

AeneaGames Member

May 2, 2009
    So a Mac running OSX is not a PC but a Mac running Linux or Windows is??? :confused:

A PC in my eyes is any computer with a monitor, a keyboard, maybe a mouse that allows you to install several different OSes. I don't even care about the CPU type really.

If you want to include the Intel x86 or compatible CPU in it a Mac is still a PC.

According to that definition a heck of a lot of Windows running PCs out there are no PCs, most people just buy stock models from companies like Dell, Acer, etc.

Also Macs run Steam just fine, also runs Diablo 2, Portal and Minecraft, and yes, in OSX! Of course it runs everything any PC does when you install Windows on it as well...

Then there is a thing called Hackintoshes, non Apple hardware, usually ordered as parts, built by the owners themselves and they install OSX on it. Also no PCs suddenly anymore?

This whole discussion is basically pointless :D
  17. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Or the fact that we even have this thread indicates we're well into the "post PC" era where we have multiple forms of computing and we're no longer stuck in front of desktops and laptops to work or play.

Especially when you have lots of things like tablets, smartphones, media boxes, DVRs, consoles, etc., all of which have embedded processors and often have more power and memory than what we had in regular desktop/laptop computers just a few short years ago.
  18. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Historically that is kinda correct. Apple computers in the 1970s and into the 1980s (and the other consumer computers prior to IBM entering the market), were called "Personal Computers" (less often "Home Computers"). "PC" was frequently used, but of no significance beyond a geeky abbreviation.

The first IBMs in the market specifically used the abbreviation "PC" rather than "Personal Computer". Very smart marketing, as "Personal Computer" had become a term of derision by mainframe/mini-oriented professionals. Then came the "IBM PC Clones" running MSDOS on cheaper and more capable hardware, and the rest is history. When Apple introduced the Mac, the distinction became between PCs (no longer related to IBM, which actually had a very small market share, and no longer "clones" as the clones had became the mainstream) and Macs. Apple IIs continued to be called Personal Computers for as long as they were produced, into the 1990s, but never PCs. Other non-MSDOS-specific personal computers, DEC Rainbows et al, WERE frequently called PCs.
  19. Jesda

Feb 12, 2005
    I recently caught myself referring to "IBMs and Macs"
  20. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    At work we use the term "desktop computer" to mean either a Mac or a PC. Everybody knows what it means, and it's obviously not a tablet or phone.