TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

What irritations have you noticed in the Roamio's UI?

20K views 110 replies 51 participants last post by  trip1eX 
#1 ·
Edit: before I begin, let me say that the Roamio's UI is TiVo's best UI yet and I applaud their development effort for it. For me, it wouldn't take much to make it perfect for needs, and that's why I started this thread.

I'll start off.

1. In the Premiere's SD UI, when I had multiple episodes of a show, I was able to use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" in the episode description page to move between them. I was able to quickly see all description information update (episode number, airing date, duration, etc.) as I moved through the shows.

The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it. When I select a show to see the full description in the UI, I wish I could still use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" to move between them.

2. Although the Roamio menus are impressively fast compared to the Premiere HD menus, there is still some lag before it completely renders all menu items. I noticed that if I move the selection cursor before the menu is finished rendering, it will force the cursor back to the original item when the menu render completes.

To see this, go to My Shows, then find a list of episodes for a show. Go to the detailed information page for the first show. If you press "left" to to back to the episode list and immediately press "up" or "down" to move to another show, the cursor will be forced back to the original show if you beat the menu.

Strangely, some shows redraw their menu very quickly and some do not.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you chrispitude

This was exactly what i was looking for. The Tivo HD and Premiere .. was bad at times and near awful others.

I appreciate you writing this.

ADG - I appreciate you comment as well. But Honestly Its way past time to stop babying Tivo over there systems. They have issues that should have been worked out years ago

No more excuses Tivo, I mean my premiere when I got it, the remote didnt work, They sent a new one right away (luckily I used my old remote from the tivo HD)

About 8 months after I got it all the numbers and symbols wore off, the sad part is I rarely if ever use the numbers.. yet they were store worn off.

My Past 4 tivo remotes, perfect no issues.

So yea they have had quality issues in the past, hopefully though this is starting to be behind them.

#5 ·
1. In the Premiere's SD UI, when I had multiple episodes of a show, I was able to use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" in the episode description page to move between them. I was able to quickly see all description information update (episode number, airing date, duration, etc.) as I moved through the shows.

The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it. When I select a show to see the full description in the UI, I wish I could still use "Channel Up" and "Channel Down" to move between them.
This happens in the Premiere's HD UI also, and it drives me nuts. I often have a folder of episodes of a show where I have watched a few, and my wife hasn't. I would select one and use page up/down to flip through looking at episode numbers/descriptions to figure out where I left off. I hate having to go the long way around to get from one to the next. I love the advances made to the HD UI, but it was attention to those minor details that gave the original TiVo's such a fantastic user experience and put TiVo so far above other DVR's, so it sucks to see them being overlooked in the transition.

#7 ·
The time stamps on the left and right side of the progress bar aren't vertically centered.

The Dolby indicator is yellow when looking at program info, but if you choose a stereo track it becomes a blue speaker icon. Inconsistent.

When you're in the guide, the NEW and HD graphics aren't vertically aligned with the second line of the description of the currently selected program.

Hardly anyone probably notices these things but they irritate me.

Oh, and ads. So many pointless, unpleasant, redundant ads. ;)

#9 ·
Totally agree. I used to use that feature all the time on my old DirecTiVo, and really miss it on the Roamio.

-Joe

#10 ·
The Roamio UI shows most of the information in the truncated summary on the right (which is clever design!), but not all of it.
Related to this..... I find it irritating that with all the new screen real estate available in the HD UI, the program descriptions are STILL truncated when they show in the sidebar. To see the whole description you have to click through to the program itself. And then click back out to click to the next program.

I know there are good design reasons for this, but it would be nice to be able to enable or disable things like the thumbnails at the top to leave more space for descriptions. Or allow the description area to move up (providing more space under it) if you disable the live view thumbnail in the "What To Watch Now" screen.

Paul

#11 ·
I wish TiVo would change the menu animations. They are now the one thing slowing down the UI- having to wait for the fancy transition animation with each menu pick. I would want it turned off or swapped out for something at least twice as fast.

Have made this suggestion to them several times now. It is the most irritating thing about the Roamio UI, to me, and it should be really easy to fix.

#12 ·
Bothers me that there's a slight sound cutout when entering TiVo Central. Don't have it with the Guide.

#15 ·
Bothers me that there's a slight sound cutout when entering TiVo Central. Don't have it with the Guide.
I don't notice or care about that.

But I get a 3/4 second sound dropout EVERY TIME I start to play a video (even after every pause/resume), which I very much notice. (I am using optical/toslink AC3). Don't remember that happening on my HD nor Premiere.

#16 ·
This may simply be a personal problem, but when I'm watching a recorded show and press the Tivo button to do something, I'm not sure how to get back full screen to the program I was watching. The "live TV" button doesn't seem right to go back to a recorded show, but it seems to work. So that's my UI irritation.

#17 ·
This may simply be a personal problem, but when I'm watching a recorded show and press the Tivo button to do something, I'm not sure how to get back full screen to the program I was watching. The "live TV" button doesn't seem right to go back to a recorded show, but it seems to work. So that's my UI irritation.
The "Zoom" button will always take the video in the preview window back to full screen, whether Live or recorded.

#21 ·
I'd like if Clear button still worked from the main Tivo Central menu. It seems Clear is now just a Delete shortcut.
I'm confused. What should Clear do when in TiVo Central? I always thought it was to clear any on-screen displays, and as a quick-delete in most places where a delete can be performed.

#23 ·
Something I noticed the other day... I have always hit the FF button a 4th time to make it stop (and same with Rewind), but on the Roamio, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've retrained my brain to hit Play instead about 3/4 of the time now, so I'm sure it won't be long before I do it all the time. Just that screwed me up a bunch initially as I would FF past about 10 min of show trying to figure out why I couldn't stop it. :)

#24 ·
Something I noticed the other day... I have always hit the FF button a 4th time to make it stop (and same with Rewind), but on the Roamio, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've retrained my brain to hit Play instead about 3/4 of the time now, so I'm sure it won't be long before I do it all the time. Just that screwed me up a bunch initially as I would FF past about 10 min of show trying to figure out why I couldn't stop it. :)
SPS88S backdoor entered while playing back a recording will give you old behavior if you really like it. (Like most other SPS codes it needs to be re-entered upon each reboot).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.