1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does "new transparency options for Closed Captions" actually mean?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by alleybj, Dec 16, 2013.

1. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    thanks

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    It provides the option to display only the CC text on screen, without the typical black or gray background obscuring part of the image.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Try it, and you'll find out...:D

As one who uses CCs a lot, I like the additional options...

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Does it require using digital captions? I use analog to prevent the scrambled/garbage caption problem. I'm guessing this requires digital captions.

It's been a long time since I've tried digi-capts, are they any better then before?

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Just tried it, it works on analog captions.

Not a big fan so far, the captions are too faint against many backgrounds. That was the original purpose of the black banding, to enable them to be seen regardless. I've been to a few captioned movies that were difficult to read for the same reason.

I'll stick with it for a while and see if it gets more tolerable.

6. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    I like yellow raised foreground, small caps, with 25% background. Looks (to me) a lot better than before.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies

Astro, I tend to agree with you, but I'm also trying yellow text; however it's against a 25% background with a clear container using the default large font. The problem I have (and this is no matter what style I use) is the garbage all the channels tend to put on the bottom one quarter to one third of the screen during programming. It virtually obliterates the caption text....even with black container.

8. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
  9. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Bierboy, where is the clear container color?? I can't find any options other than colors.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I haven't tried this, but if there aren't, I wish there would be *shadow* text options. Basically text with a slight outline, for the background color problem (if it's light, you couldn't see 'just text' options). I run into this on some DVDs too. Some DVD authors seem to pick hideous fonts for their subtitles. (Note, on DVDs, subtitles are *burned* into the image, they're graphical, there's no text generation going on... Which let them do cool things like the Muppet commentary track on Muppets From Space.)

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I like the new options. Only thing missing is *bold* font. As is the text is a little too skinny and hard to read at times no matter which font type I've tried. Large font size takes up too much screen room so I use medium. (I have settings set to be completely transparent background).