1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I miss with a Tivo Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markwill, Aug 28, 2013.

1. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I am a long time Tivo HD user who just purchased a Roamio PLus ("out for delivery" at the time of writing :)). Anyway, while looking forward to installing and starting to use my Roamio tonight, I am curious about the full extent which a Tivo Mini might be useful elsewhere.

Aside from the obvious issue of tuners (I'd tie one up while I am using a Mini, but that's not a factor for me at all right now), I am interested to know what features I WON'T get on a remote Mini (as compared to sitting in front of the TV with the Roamio itself). Assuming solid networking connectivity, what features would I forego, as compared to getting another Roamio?

Thanks.

Mark

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    HMO extensions like pyTivo shares for network video, music and photos is the big one. They support most of the same OTT streaming vendors. You might consider a lifetime sub used Premiere unit instead of a mini if you have the space. There are plenty available for sale right now for not much more than the cost of a mini.

3. markwill

markwill New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Thank you. We have no interest in any "local network" content (video, music, etc). We do want access to all cable channels, Internet services (Hulu, Netflix, etc) and it seems like we're all set, based on your answer.

By the way, just to double check would XFinity On Demand be available from a Mini, if the Roamio is configured to support that?

Mark

4. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    You don't lose much but you do gain the savings of returning a cable card. I have Fios and they just raised their cable card rates to $5 a card.

Off topic but $5 a card is nuts. These things probably cost the cable company no more than $100 (probably less). I've had the same 2 cards from Verizon for about 4 years. At the old $4 rate, I've probably paid them about $384 for these 2 cable cards. I wish I could just buy them instead of paying $5 a month.

5. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan New Member

May 7, 2004
    Really dual live buffers is the only thing. I just hooked up a Mini last night to my bedroom TV, in place of a 2 tuner Premiere, and it seemed to work pretty well. I didn't get to mess with it too much as it got late. I am not sure if the Mini will keep your buffer on a paused program if you hit the TiVo button on the remote to go to the main menu or not. It will automatically release the tuner it was using on the Roamio after a certain amount of time if it is not in use. Definitely a lot snappier than the Premiere I had up there. I don't really watch 2 shows at once in the bedroom, so the lack of 2 tuners doesn't really bother me. I got it at Best Buy, so I have 60 days to try it out...

Y2J

6. andrews777

andrews777 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I totally agree with this. That is another reason I bit the bullet and ordered a Pro at WalMart (setup for 9/4 store delivery) and 3 Minis (Amazon) by Friday.

I am hoping this reduces me to one M card, but I will have to see. Has anyone gone from a Premiere or TivoHD to Roamio Pro or otherwise on Verizon yet? Can I just swap the cable cards from one of the TivoHD units? Or take the one from the Premiere?

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But only 30 days on the TiVo service isn't it?

8. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The Mini can't handle or view Amazon downloads, at least right now. That means if you are used to 'buying' or renting episodes from Amazon in 1080p, you won't be able to download and view from the Mini television.

From what I understand, Amazon Instant Streaming will be available some time, but I believe that is 720p and is mostly their free catalog.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Once Amazon streaming is availabe then you should be able to view any purchased Amazon content as well. AT least if it's like other Amazon streaming devices.

Any content I've purchased from Amazon in the past, that I was able to download to my TiVos, I was also able to view on my devices that had Amazon streaming. Although it was only streamed in 720P instead of the 1080P that I typically got from the TiVo download.

10. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan New Member

May 7, 2004
    Not exactly sure if they can lock you into a contract if you don't have the device any longer.

11. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Does the mini grab a tuner any time it's in use or just when live TV is viewed? In other words, if it is used only for streaming, will it have to grab a tuner?

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Only when viewing live TV. If you're watching a recorded show it does not require a tuner.

13. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Has anyone confirmed how dynamic tuning allocation actually works with a Roamio & Mini? Does it give you an message asking if you want to cancel a recording if you request live TV when all tuners are busy recording and/or providing live TV to other Minis?

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think someone said that if all tuners are in use then it simply gives the Mini user an error, no option to cancel the recording.

What I haven't seen is anyone report what happens if the TiVo needs the tuner a Mini is already using. Does the Mini user just get booted? Or do they get an option to cancel the recording and hold on to the tuner? I planed to test this when I got mine.

15. cncb

cncb New Member

Jul 4, 2013
    This is unfortunate. Are there plans to fix this?

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Mini has no internal storage, and pyTiVo is a program used to transfer videos, so there is really no way to fix it. I'm not sure why music and photos wouldn't work though. They should. But I've never tried so I can't confirm or deny that part.

17. cncb

cncb New Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I thought you could also stream (pull) with pyTiVo or do I misunderstand that?

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Pulling with pyTiVo is not streaming. It's copying the digital data from your computer to your TiVo hard drive.

There is an actual streaming program called Stream Baby, but I don't think that works with the Mini either. I think that's because the Mini has blocked all the old HME protocols, even for streaming. (that could be why music and photos don't work)

19. bob61

bob61 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    If you think $5/month is crazy, go to Comcast where I pay $9.95 per outlet. They do give a $2.50 credit back since I don't use their cable box, so $7.45 for a cable card essentially. I'm decided to get off the Comcast nickel and dime wagon and replacing my current set-up of 1 Comcast box and 3 Tivo Premiere's with lifetime and going with 1 Roamie Plus and 3 Tivo mini's (all with lifetime). I'll then be able to eliminate my Comcast additional outlet charges entirely as I'll have just one "outlet" being used with my new set-up. Comcast can go suck-it!

20. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    The latest price breakdown I got with my last bill still says the first CableCARD is free. They still charge for it ($9.95) and give me a $2.50 credit for my own equipment.

They definitely love to price gouge.