1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What determines pyTivo's speed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Punker1234, May 26, 2012.

1. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Hey folks.

I've used pyTvo before, and I know the encoding takes some time, but I was trying to transfer an .MKV last night and it took 4:30 hours to transfer 1:05 minutes of footage on an 8 gig file.

However, a couple of days before that I transferred a 6 gig file (2 hours), and it only took 3 hours to process the entire thing. That's 2 gigs smaller obviously, but it shouldn't take 8 hours to complete a 8 gig movie right?

I have a great cpu (i7 920 clocked at 3.5 ghz) and it's only 10% loaded. And I have a decent router as well. My network meter says I'm uploading just about 800K. Could that be my bog down? any other thoughts?

2. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    Are you using Ethernet or wifi?

When I transfer to and from TiVo I can never get More then 1mb/sec which works out to about 3.6gb per hour or so. I think that's normal speed unfortunately. Id recommend you use streambaby. You can start watching right away

3. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Do you know if it was wired if it would go faster? My tivo adapter is a G adapter, not N. I have a few spare USB adapters, maybe I'll try those on the tivo to see if they will work.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    He, nor anyone else will know that for sure. He is just trying to get you to eliminate the wireless as a possible source of the problem. Wireless is notoriously unreliable (compared to wired).

You might also have some back-end problem with the decoder/encoder for that particular file that was causing the problem. You should have aborted that one and immediately started a new, known-working file. That would prove if it had something to do with the file or not.

5. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks, I'll try it again. What would be an average encoding time for a 2 hour movie? 3-4 hours?

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't think anyone can answer that meaningfully. You don't even say which codecs or resolution. It is like asking "How long does it take to mow a lawn?"

On my Phenom 6 core x 3.6Ghz Linux machine, I can push a 2 hour H.264+AC3 1.3 Mb/s video at DVD resolution to the TiVo in maybe 10 minutes or something? I have never actually timed it because when doing this, I would be watching the video and don't care.

7. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I have wireless lappy sending avi's to a wired Premiere - it's fast as heck (about 20 minutes to send 60 minutes of video).

I also have a Series 2 - it was decent speed when it was wired (about an hour to transfer an hour of an avi), but now it is wireless and slow (takes two hours to transfer an hour's worth of a avi).

8. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I get faster times with my updated premier, it seems much fast then before.

Did I say how much faster and easier setting up a MoCA wired network is then a wireless network? ;)