1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What channels/shows can Tivo export?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by human98723, Apr 24, 2012.

1. human98723

human98723 New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am considering purchasing a Tivo and was hoping I could get some answers as to what is and is not possible with Tivo. In the past I have used PC based PVR solutions like Snapstream and SageTV. They worked well but came with their own issues (crashes, configuration, etc ..). I am now at a point where I do not want to build another PC/Mac system to serve as a dedicated PVR.

I am planning on purchasing cable for specific channels, such as Biography, History Channel, TLC, and the Military channel. What I am wondering is what channels does Tivo prevent you from exporting?

1. Can you record and export a Pay per View event?
    2. Can you record and export cable TV channels like "History Channel", "Discovery", and "Military Channel"?
    3. Is there a way to determine what channels/shows can be exported and which ones cannot?

When I say export I mean the ability to transfer the show to an external hard drive where I can edit/convert as necessary with my PC/Mac.

Thank you for any help!

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  3. human98723

human98723 New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Thank you so much for the link to the "Copy Protection Tracking" thread. Unfortunately my cable provider is Time Warner so it looks like all shows are encrypted and cannot be exported. This makes Tivo useless for my needs. Thanks anyway. You helped save me from purchasing something that would be of no use to me.