1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can a TIVO Mini do without an epg?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by IRJ, Jul 19, 2014.

1. IRJ

IRJ New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I am curious as to how a TIVO Mini works.
    Let's say I have a Romaio Pro with a Lifetime EPG contract and I buy a Mini for another TV.
    What do I get and what would I not get if I do NOT pay for the monthly EPG or Lifetime?

Would the Mini simply be an ornament?
    Or would it allow me to look to the Romaio Pro (via internal cable coaxial) and play any and ALL shows recorded on the Pro?
    Would it also play Live TV via the Pro?
    I am certain that the Mini would not allow me to set up new programming of shows and that this would have to be done on the Romaio.

After paying for the EPG on the Pro it is unclear to me what extra I get on the Mini for another EPG.

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Without service, you could still use the Mini as a paperweight.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I think it would also make a good doorstop due to the shape

OP, a mini requires service to operate since you can't use any networked features without service and without networking the mini is useless

4. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    ...and its little rubber feet.

5. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    You are paying for the TiVo service, not the EPG.

6. IRJ

IRJ New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    You mean you ay $100 for a Mini and it does absolutely nothing?

7. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Not nothing, it allows you to subscribe to the TiVo service.

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo offered a subscription service from day one (except for one Series 2 product) you purchase the hardware then you must get TiVo service before the hardware is useful, this goes for any TiVo or Mini. A Mini cost about $240 to $250 for a lifetime working product.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Yes, similar in concept to a cell phone. You pay $50 or $100 or $200, and it does nothing. You've bought an electronic device, now you subscribe to some sort of service to use it.

10. dcline414

dcline414 New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Not a great analogy. I just turned on my Palm Treo and it still works great for everything except email/text/calling. Those things add up to about 50% of the value of a smartphone, give or take.

It's more like making a down payment on a new car... you surrender a big chunk of change that covers a portion of the cost and lowers the ongoing monthly payment. Tivo's service is nearly pure profit, so the monthly fee is mostly recouping their losses on discounted hardware sales.

11. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It's actually an excellent analogy. He said "cell phone" not "smartphone". If you buy a basic cell phone at verizon for $100 that all it does is make phone calls and texts, and has no wi-fi capabilities, then it is pretty much useless without paying for service from verizon.

12. IRJ

IRJ New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Except one has already bought a full fledged TIVO AND (in my case) 2 Lifetime TIVO services for them.
    I thought that at the least I might be able to mirror replay from the full fledged TIVO Romaio Pro. I could understand the logic of being made to pay another $150.00 (Lifetime) to access to forward looking EPG and make programing changes from the Mini.

Re Cellphones I have an unlocked Nexus 5 I use for international travel and I presently have no SIM card in it. I can switch it on at home and get WiFi connections at home and use non voice services etc. I was supposing that in a similar fashion I would get some small functionality out of a Mini and NOT absolutely zero.

13. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The TiVo service is not the EPG.

14. IRJ

IRJ New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I BUY a TIVO service into my house with a Lifetime payment for a FULL TIVO service. Then I pay full price for a Mini and get zero functionality, until or unless, I am allowed to unlock it with further service payments.
    I had hoped that some basic replay, on my own home network, of programs recorded on the Romaio Pro would be available through the Mini. Apparently not at all.

TIVO is a company I have negative thoughts about for the way in which they do business. There are other solutions around such as the SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime and WMC (both of which I also use) which are equally functionally as good (IMHO). I use TIVO because the wife cannot get to grips with the extra steps in using my other system.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Considering NO Tivo unit can use any networking functions without a valid subscription you're making assumptions about what a Mini can do, and those assumptions are incorrect. You've already said you have multiple Tivo's in the house so the requirement of service for any network connectivity shouldn't be a total shock at this point.

If you bought a 2nd Roamio it couldn't talk to anything else on the network without service either, Mini and Roamio have the same service requirements so I fail to see how this is that big a surprise since a Mini is a Tivo sans tuners or local storage.

You're not going to get many folks to be outraged here since the service requirements for a Mini are pretty plainly stated on its pages and documentation.

16. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    One way to think about it is list price for the Mini is $250, but if you would rather pay monthly you can have it for $100 and a monthly charge (minus discounts and sale prices).

I think TiVo does it for two reasons: one is reduce the entry cost of a Mini as stated above. The other is to maintain the number of subscriptions for retail TiVos (since people are getting rid of TiVos with full subs as they buy Minis.) That's important for TiVo to keep investor interest and stock price, which is not as crucial as it once was, but is still important going forward.

17. IRJ

IRJ New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I think they do it to "make money".

In the streaming world makers such as Roku offer fully functional devices similar in manufacturing cost to a Mini for between $50-100.00. In the TIVO world they seem to believe that hitting customers many times for their service within a single home is a sustainable business model over the medium long term.

I am a TIVO customer (for over 4 years) and am re-upping for a Romaio Pro with Lifetime, but am shocked at the egregious cost of using a Mini in my house.

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The cost of a Mini is $250, too much money, don't purchase one, simple or it should be, I am sure there are people that would purchase a new Rolls Royce if it was not for its high price.

19. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Whether or not the Mini costs "too much money" is subjective. If I want to watch cable TV and recordings on a second television what are the options? I could buy another Roamio, which would be a lot more expensive than buying a Mini, or I could rent a crappy cable box that has no streaming capabilities from my cable company for $12/month. The Mini seems like the best of those options to me.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I agree as I have two Minis, no extra cable cards, no having to active anything with the cable co. With MoCA built in the 4 tuner TP and all the Roamios, no MoCA adapter is needed for my setup. Is $250 too much money ?? to some it is, to me its not, that life.