1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are my home networking options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Philosofy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I have two HD TiVo's, in different rooms, connected to my home network via ethernet cables. I have a MacBook Pro, and a 3rd generation iPad. I travel frequently, and would like to get videos from the Tivo to my iPad for travel.

Some other details: although each TiVo can see each other on the network, they can't seem to be able to download programs to each other.

My router is an Apple Time Capsule.

I have heard there are programs that will take shows from the TiVo, edit out the commercials, and then return them to the TiVo. That would be way cool.

What options do I have, and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would need the Tivo Stream or Roamio Plus/Pro with it built-in to download to iphone/ipad.

Check your tivo.com account under DVR/device preferences and make sure the checkboxes for Transfers and Downloads are checked. Click save at the bottom. Have your Tivos connect. Make sure they each has the Media Access Key, its the same on your account. You should then be able to download shows between each Tivo.

3. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    You do not necessarily need a Tivo stream or a Roamio to do this.

There are a couple of other ways to go about this

One way, if you have access to a PC.......

Use kmttg to offload the shows recorded on the tivo.

Then use VideoRedo TV suite($$) to edit out unwanted content, such as commercials

Use VLC from the Apple app store to transfer these files onto your apple device.

TC

4. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    so how do you use VLC to transfer to ipad?

5. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Does video redo edit out the commercials automatically? And is there a way to do it without a pv, or running parallels on a Mac?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    VRD can edit out commercials automatically but not accurately, it can take out more program than commercials when left unchecked.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think they actually stated it not very well.. (Plus, I would skip the "edit out commercials" part..)

You can download (non copy protected, of course) programs with kmttg..

Then you can use *itunes* to get the videos to VLC. Hook iPad to computer, open itunes, select ipad in sidebar, switch to apps tab, scroll to bottom.. it will show a list of apps.. click on VLC, then drag file to the right column.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it's easy.

This means you don't have to convert the program to an iPad compatible video type too, since VLC will play it.. (But e.g. your iPad will use more power than if you did have a Tivo Stream and compatible Tivo.. since the video would already be iPad compatible then.)

I've been using VLC lately to play Olympics while I walk on my treadmill... and play slightly faster than realtime. I intend to keep using it to play things like talk shows and documentaries faster than realtime too.

I wish the Tivo app would do that natively, then it would skip the download + VLC steps..

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Tivo desktop plus should do everything you need. It will transfer the program from the Tivo to the computer and then reformat it for loading on your Ipad.

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Reformatting for the iPad is *SLOOOOW*. The Tivo Stream does it in hardware.

So using VLC to play the original media files is likely better, or getting new Tivos/Tivo Stream to have it be "easy" (do it all on the ipad itself from the tivos)