1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a note that the site indexes are still building. Until they are done, anything that uses search will be affected such as normal search, post history, etc. It works from the oldest post first and is building forward in time. We could have waited for it all to be done, but hey, who uses search anyway? :)
    Dismiss Notice

What are differences between a 652 and 658 (Series3)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I have two (Series 3) TCD652160s that are working fine. I have a friend who might be giving me his TCD658000 due to it no longer working (probably either bad hard drive or bad power supply). I plan to try and revive it, but had a question concerning the two.

I think I know the main differences between the two. The TCD658000 come with the following (over the TCD652160);

• a larger (1TB) stock hard drive
    • THX certified
    • has a glo remote

Are there any other major or minor differences between these two Series 3 TiVos? Or is this pretty much it?
  2. socrplyr

socrplyr New Member

Jul 19, 2006
    In general, those models are believed to be identical hardware wise (except for the harddrive size and the glo remote of course).
    I am not sure if there is some minor catch in the software where you would not be able to use a image from one on the other (this is for if you have to replace the harddrive).
  3. unitron

unitron New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    You should be able to swap power supplies for testing purposes.

I don't know if both your 652 power supplies are the same or not, but there were two different models from two different manufacturers used on the 652, so if the 658 supply isn't the same as either of them it's probably not a problem (although let us know if you discover that you have 3 different model power supplies in front of you). Just make sure the same color wires go to the same place in the plug that goes on the motherboard.

I think either one will boot with the "wrong" software--I once booted a 652 with the 658 image just to see what would happen--but I wouldn't plan on actually running it that way.