1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital 2TB at Newegg $89

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MeInDallas, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Newegg has a 48 hour deal on the WD20EARX for $89 with promo code EMCJNHG26 with free shipping.

2. OldFart1

OldFart1 New Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Is This usable to upgrade a tivo3?

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Using WinMFS or MFS_Live, yes.

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    this is a "green" drive though and from my understanding & what I was told in the past, the intellipark feature on these 'green' drives needs to be disabled first before it can be used properly in a TiVo. Is this correct? If so, I don't think its a hard thing to do, but just something to keep in mind and figured I would mention it here.

5. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    True. You have to get and run wdidle, not a big deal, but a necessary step.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It won't work anywhere because the way NewEgg handles shipping and handling of hard drives (not the fees) the drive will be dead.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That's just nonsense. I've purchased more than 50 hard drives from NewEgg over the last several years, and not one has ever been DOA.

8. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    So the 3 out of 5 DOAs I've had from NewEgg, where I had to pay to get a replacement, are just in my imagination. I still have one paperweight pending a factory return.

Never a problem with drives from Amazon. They don't play frisbee with them.

9. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    No, you just skew the average. I've never had a dead one either, and no reason to fear that I would get one.

10. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    They must deliver super fast. ;)

11. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I've had great luck with Newegg myself. They have always been really great with me. One time UPS even left a shipment at my side door and someone stole it, and Newegg sent out a replacement shipment via next day air and it didnt cost me anything. Newegg ate the entire cost at over $400. I dont know if they have some sort of insurance that paid for that, but it didnt cost me anything.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have purchased over 800 HD from Newegg, had two DOA, Newegg paid for the shipping the HD back to them.

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
  14. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I remembered that I had more DOAs.

Which is good, because I'm tempted to buy yet another drive just to have space to organize things. I can fix & free up what I have.

I had 2 two-drive arrays of Green drives go sleepy. I have to spend some time getting them woked up.

I got out of the hoarding business.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, so cheap.. 4 TB drives were $199 at Fry's recently.. and a 3 TB drive was about $149 even more recently (about the same price/TB).. So now we're getting below $50/TB.

16. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
  17. jreichjr

jreichjr New Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Oops, posted in error

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
  19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No one said anything about your experience being imaginary, but we can reasonably infer it is defnititely outside the norm. First of all, if their average return volume were anything like you imply, they would be losing large volumes of money selling hard drives. A company that does their sort of volume in drives absolutely must be able to count on a reliable delivery average. Secondly, if they had anything nearly like the average DOA failure rate you suggest, the hue and cry would be deafening. Literally hundreds of participants in this forum have purchased hard drives from NewEgg, and few, if any, other than you have experienced anything close to that level of issues.

Oh, and just BTW, the 25 (out of 30) drives currently spinning away in my RAID systems and the half dozen or so other drives around the house purchased from NewEgg are not my imagination, either.

20. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I got this drive from newegg Friday. I upgraded one of my Tivo Premieres Saturday. So far, I've had no problem. I'm a happy camper with an upgraded Tivo box.

And I've gotten probably 10 hard drives over the years from newegg and they all worked. I'm sure there are DOA drives but not a large amount. Newegg has been very good to me.