1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well that was fast (Mini price drop at Amazon)

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jmpage2, May 11, 2013.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Looks like Amazon is now direct selling the Mini for $88 with free shipping. Not an earth shattering adjustment but interesting to see it happen this quickly. I suspect demand might be low for the Mini.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is a nice 12% discount. That means that you can also get it from Best Buy for the same price too since they will match Amazons price.

Although you can only get the price match at the time of the sale. You can't come back after purchasing to get it.

3. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Demand for a TiVo product low? Go figure. :rolleyes:

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I got the Mini at the full $99 when it first came out, sold off my TPs and purchased TP-4, I got about $30 more for my TPs at that time then I could get now, so I made out, if your upgrading by selling off your old TiVos on E-bay, waiting until the new hardware goes down in price may not get you much if any savings. IE in April I got $349 for the TiVo-HD for some friends, now I can only get $329.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If demand is low, I figure it's because most people who wanted one has bought it by now. I suspect the lower price will get some that are waiting out the "early adopter" period.
    Otherwise, I think the Mini sales will stagnate until TiVo can get the next line of DVRs out.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Also how many people outside this forum even know about the Mini, I got a few friends to upgrade to the Mini, but I knew about Moca and POE filter, you think the average consumer knows about that stuff.
    The Mini is (IMHO) a test run for the next release of new TiVo products this fall when TiVo can advertise the total home solution for their DVR. 6 tuners and 3 or 4 Minis using only one cable card/A/O, and groups by person than by show, and also breaking the 2.2Tb drive barrier. Also HD parent control could turned on as little Johnny can have his own set of shows under his name.

7. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    I would agree with lessd that most people who aren't actively watching the TiVo world probably don't know about it. Also, it only works with a 4-tuner box, so it's appeal is limited.

Also, you need to be in the market for another device.

And there are some that are waiting for the dynamic tuner support before pulling the trigger.

When you put all of that together you get a demand curve with a sharp spike for the early adopters then a drop as that market is satisfied. The next spike will happen when the new software is available.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I don't even see it as a 12% discount since factoring in lifetime it's really $250->$238 =~ 5% discount.

9. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Well it's kind of crippled without DTA.

10. 2trill4925

2trill4925 New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    The service fee doomed this product. If I weren't so deeply entrenched into the Tivo ecosystem I also would've scoffed at this offering.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What does the cable company charge each month for a Client streaming box?

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't think anybody can give the price for any given service that cable co.s offer as people have deals that include all kinds things.

As example I pay $1 /month for each cable card (the price drop this month from $1.15 for some unknown reason) and no A/O fee, so for 4 cable cards I pay $4.36/month inc the 9% tax
    My bill for cable cards
    2nd Cablecard 05/25 - 06/24 $4.00
    Same Outlet.
    Qty 4 @ $1.00 each

My friend pays $7.45 for each cable card (and I guess an A/O charge) + 9%tax for a total of $48.73/month, if he paid what I pay his cost would drop $42/19 per month.
    His bill
    Add'l Digital Outlet 05/03 - 06/02 $7.45
    TiVo Premiere Cablecard
    Digital Additional 05/03 - 06/02 $37.25
    Outlet Service Charge (with Cablecard)
    Includes Customer-owned Video Equipment

So go figure.

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Amazon is now sold out of their Mini's - showing one to three week availability. 3rd party sources still have it.

14. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Sold out? Wow, demand must be dropping fast ;)

15. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We now know they (Amazon) sold about 20 Mini's over the weekend. :)

I'm guessing at this point they are probably selling about 10/day, 300/mo, 900/qtr, 10,000/yr.

I expect that TiVo sold about 10,000 Mini's during their quarter ending 4/30/2013... we will have a good idea of the quantity sold when TiVo reports on 5/20.

16. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    How did 10 per day become 10k per year? Have you converted to the new metric 1000-day year already?

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    He said 900 per quarter, you all know we now have 11 quarters in the new year.

18. martyscholes

martyscholes New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    That's a holdover from the fact that computer people call 1024 as kilo, 1048576 as mega, and so on when according to SI, a kilo is in fact 1000 and mega is 1000000. The prefixes giga and tera are even worse.

So, the same issue is at play here, where a kiloday in SI is 1000 days, but us sloppy computer types have rounded a year to be equal to a kiloday. Instead of that 365.24 days per year nonsense, we just round up.

It makes the math much simpler. Far less correct, of course, but simpler.

:)

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    But what's the alternative? TiVo is the only decent DVR system for cable that's out there. It shows how small the market is too, as there is so much that TiVo is so far behind in, yet they don't have the competition to whip their butts into motion. I'd love to see a competitor to really knock it out of the park, but there probably isn't a big enough market for them.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The cable co DVR swamps the market with no upfront cost and full in house service and upgrades without extra cost, + only one co to call if having problems, and no cable card issues. I personally would not trade from my TiVos as I love them and know how to fix most TiVo problems without much cost, and many on this forum may also have the same feeling but the general public not so much, I have 3 close friends + my kids with TiVos and I am the one who they call if they are having any TiVo problems, I don't suggest TiVo to any more friends.