1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Stream problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by mjbok, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mjbok

mjbok New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Got my Stream today. Hooked it into my network, then went about updating the software from an iPad.

Looped, looped some more, continued looping, and finally finished.

Here's where it gets weird. Every time I have added an additional iDevice (phone, pad, touch) the wireless router goes offline. Can't maintain a connection on my PC to it. Reboot the router and everything is fine, including iDevices.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The setup process do some funky shuffling of the MAC address on the Stream. That could be confusing your router.

Dan

3. mjbok

mjbok New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Every device I add it blows up the network which requires rebooting the router. I was getting an IP device conflict also. I guess I shouldn't be adding more devices, but it seems like this is an issue I shouldn't be having.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It sounds like you need to try a different router.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

5. mjbok

mjbok New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I have probably upwards of 50 devices connected through this router either wired or wireless. This is the only device that has an issue.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure there aren't any IP conflicts? Are you sure your DCHP pool is big enough?

Dan

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But you said that every device you add blows up the network and you need to reboot the router. That is not normal. I have over sixty devices on my network. I don't need to reboot the router when adding a device. Not with my current Asus router or the two Dlink routers I used the previous 7 or 8 years.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

8. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    This

9. B1ackE1even

B1ackE1even New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'm having a similar issue. Rather than the router going offline each time I add a device, it goes offline each time I attempt to use my iPad. I then need to reboot my router and sometimes the TiVo Stream. However, I don't have the same issue with my Touch.

10. mjbok

mjbok New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I phrased it wrong. Each time I add a new device for the stream to use (ipad, iphone, itouch, etc.) the router needs to be rebooted. I can add countless devices to my network with no issues, but any time I give a new device access to the stream it goes haywire.

To update to this: If I power cycle the stream, I run into the same situation where I have to reboot the router. This is only true when doing stuff with (or adding a device that connects to) the stream.

It can't be my pool of IP addresses, because they all come back with the same address after it reboots.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe your router is having trouble with the multi-cast packets the Stream uses for discovery? You should check with the manufacturer of your router and see if there are any firmware updates available.

Dan

12. B1ackE1even

B1ackE1even New Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I caved and bought a new router, Linksys E2500. The new router solved my problem.