1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird problem with old gear

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rbrown3rd, Jan 5, 2013.

1. rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd Dedicated DTivo'er

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    As you can see from my signature I have a VERY old DirecTivo as my main DVR in my living room. I have a newer one in the guest bedroom. Regardless of the reasons for this setup my DSR6000 has become very stubborn about recording new shows. In addition, shows that we used to record regularly have stopped recording.

I've checked, but will be happy to check and report again, my signal strength and tuners. I think I might be at a point...stop laughing...to upgrade my gear. In fact, I called DTV on Thursday thinking that they might sweeten the deal for me to upgrade to HD but no dice. Maybe there is a secret code I have to give them or something. Just kidding.

Why would my DVR stop recording shows and what is the secret to getting a good deal on an upgrade? I held out for years waiting for Tivo and DTV to get back together again for the new DirectTivo but it may not have been worth the wait right?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I don't really know anything about satellite gear, but my theory is that it doesn't record new shows because it has gotten old and doesn't like new stuff and yells at clouds and kids on the lawn.

Just like me. :)

3. rbrown3rd

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    That is really funny. Maybe I should have posted as "What is the best DVR and how do I get the best deal on it."

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Perhaps you should start another thread that points to this one, but has "satellite" or "DirecTiVo" prominent in the title to attract the attention of the people around here who know how many beans make 5 when it comes to satellite stuff.

5. rbrown3rd

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    Thanks. Good advice.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    "stopped recording" is SO VAGUE.

What does Recording History say? Have you checked the To Do list beforehand, and are the shows listed? Have you checked when the show was supposed to be recording?

Basically, you could have a bad hard drive, you could have a bad tuner, there could be bad guide data (saying it was a rerun when it wasn't), etc.. there is nowhere NEAR enough info to start figuring out why your Tivo isn't recording.

7. rbrown3rd

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    Have not checked recording history.
    To do list checked OK
    The show time was correct

Possible cause over 30 season passes in season pass manager?
    I've reduced the number to 20.
    Keep asking questions and I'll find answers. Thanks.