1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weeds - Anyone a fan?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Was bored last night as I finally caught up on my stuff and looked through Netflix and came across this show. I had heard good things. I watched the pilot and it was very meh. Does it get better or is just more of the same?

2. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    first couple of seasons (or so) were great. not so much after that. that said, i did finish watching the whole thing...the last few seasons were awful imho.

3. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I've been stuck on the last season for about a year now I think.

It started a little slow - then got really really good for a season or two...then started it's decline, IMO.

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Maybe I'll stick with it for a bit. I was looking for a 30 minute show to kill time when I don't have more time. I don't really like watching hour shows and not finish them in one sitting.

5. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    I don't think it's a show you want to watch all seasons at once. I watched the first few seasons over the course of a couple of weeks and was pretty bored with it when I reached the 5th season or so. I took a 2 month break and after that it was fun to watch it again. I then watched the rest of the seasons at a much slower pace and it did keep my interest.

6. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    Ya - pretty much the same experience I had.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    We started season threads (as versus eps threads) for most of the seasons, so as you watch or finish a season, go back and find them for some fun commentary.

I thought the first couple seasons were great fun, then they drifted a little off course, then got better, then got worse again, yada yada. Even at its worst, it was still a fun show to watch, and as you say, it's only 30 minutes.

There were some seasons that really went on a tangent, but then the next season would have a way to get back on course and draw you in.

As long as you're enjoying it, keep watching. There's nothing else like it on TV, and it was the first of the female-centric Showtime 30 minute dramedies. And they threw just enough MLP at ya' to keep it... interesting.

8. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    My wife loved it. Probably her favorite show ever. I didn't make it through the first episode. To me, it seemed like an R-rated Desperate Housewives. I'm sure I didn't give it a fair shot, but the shows I really like always seem to draw me in immediately, and this one didn't.

9. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I loved some of it and only liked other parts of it. Overall it was good.

10. nickels

nickels opinionated dope

Jan 11, 2010
    Warrington, PA
    I like the first few seasons, and then it gets worse and worse. I never finished. By season 7 they wore me out with the plot retreads and my growing dislike of the main characters.

11. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Like most others in this thread, I loved the early seasons. And I have a huge crush on MLP. But wow, when it got bad it was really, really bad.

Makes me worry about Jenji Kohans new show Orange is the New Black. I loved the first season of that.

But I get invested in shows and somehow can't stop watching. Like 24. I should have stopped that 3 seasons in.

12. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Well. I just binge watched all 8 seasons in one week (mostly because I was home recuperating from oral surgery). I think it's great and like everyone else - the first seasons are superior but, I just went along for the ride and felt like the world of WEEDS was a world I could spend some time in.

I do wish at some point the Nancy character would have stepped up and grown a pair... And in terms of binge watching - it is a little odd
    that the secondary character of Celia Hodes basically just disappears after the 5th or 6th season - not that her character was that strong but still...

But I think this is a great show for binging on :)

13. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Since this thread got bumped, I can report that Orange is the New Black did indeed go downhill for me.

14. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    LOL - yes, I agree with that. and the new season is available next weekend.

15. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    You might want to try Better Off Ted if you're looking for a good, funny half hour show.

16. deli99

deli99 Active Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Redondo...
    Absolutely. :up:

17. ej42137

ej42137 Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It was kind of perfect, they way they cancelled it while it was still great, before it could go downhill. Kind of like Firefly that way.

18. dwells

dwells Active Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    Back to Weeds- I really think this show went off the rails towards the end maybe more than just about any show in history. We absolutely loved it in the beginning but it was downright awful at the end- almost unwatchable. Only reason we stuck with it was to see how they ended it.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    oh c'mon now, it wasn't that bad.
    which is why maybe binge watching now is the better way to see it.
    it did feel like they didn't have a plan and were making it up as they went along.
    my biggest issue is that Nancy remained a victim throughout and someone else always came to her rescue, and the sub-plots were ridiculous (the whole Kevin Nealon story could have been cut) and the direction they sent Shane's character was way off course. i much would have preferred if he had become a serial killer!

20. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Echoing the other comments in the thread. Weeds - starts off great, gets weaker, and then great again, and then weakens and ends flat.

Orange - similar.. great at the start, second season weaker, and then the third I had to start a few times to stick through it, and then at the end I was like.. yea.. I dunno about season 4...