1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web interface doesn't show all programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by need_dvr, Mar 20, 2014.

1. need_dvr

need_dvr New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I've just upgraded from a TiVo Series 3 to a Roamio. When I access the program list on my old Series 3 through a web browser using the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html" (after logging in with my MAK of course), it properly shows all the programs stored on it. When I try to access the program list on the Roamio in the same way, it only shows the 50 most recently recorded items. The bottom of the page says "50 items, (out of 62 total items)" with no way to access the missing items.

An item in this case mean either a program or a folder. If I switch to a folderless view using the link labeled "classic" at the bottom of the page to produce the URL "https://<TivoIPAddr>/nowplaying/index.html?Recurse=Yes", the behavior is the same: the browser only shows the most recent 50 programs, along with a message at the bottom declaring "50 items, (out of 193 total items)".

As suggested in other posts, I have tried adding qualifiers to the URL like "&ItemCount=200" to extend the item count or "&AnchorOffset=51&ItemCount=50" to move to the next page of items, but the Roamio simply ignores all of these qualifiers.

Any ideas?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It works for XML style listings (which only returns 16 items at most per query):
    Code:
    https://<IP>/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=16

3. need_dvr

need_dvr New Member

Oct 10, 2007

This does appear to work, although looking at raw XML is less than optimal. The browser (either IE or Firefox) displays raw XML, but at least Firefox also displays a message at the top of the page saying:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Is there perhaps a Firefox plugin which might make the raw XML a bit more readable?

BTW, using the program download link buried in the XML will download the MPEG.PS format version of the program. I can force download of the MPEG.TS format instead by appending "&Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg-ts" to the end of the download URL.

4. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Did you ever figure out a work around to this? The "Now Playing" page is not a Tivo supported method, so they cannot provide any help. It is strange there is no "Next page" or "Page 2,3,4.." link to click on so we can view every show on the Tivo box. Thanks.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    What are you trying to do? There are about 100 tools and utilities built over the last decade to give you a listing of content via the web - simply using the Now Playing URL won't bring you much value.

6. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for the fast reply. I want to copy some shows from the Tivo box to my computer. Once the .Tivo files are on the hard drive, I want to convert them to a standard viewing format that other media players will recognize and play correctly. I also may burn them to a DVD for viewing on a television.

The old Tivo Desktop app is nice, but it's pathetically slow despite hardwire connections for both the Tivo and the computer.

The kmttg program is an overdeveloped mess. It's produces a .mgp file which is not a universal format. The encoding feature only burdens the program more causing it to fail.

The pytivo program is also a convoluted pain which failed completely. I couldn't even see any programs to pull. Despite deleting the files, my computer now shows up in the Tivo "My Shows" list and I can't get rid of it (I don't need to view anything on a Tivo from my computer.

Tivodecode has terrible instructions which leaves the user with too much guessing on what to do or how to troubleshoot.

I took a screen grab of my computer specs which are included as an attachment (Windows 7 HP, 64 bit Intel). I'm more than happy to try some of the utilities you spoke of. Thanks for the help:)

Attached Files:

7. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
  8. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015

9. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

10. reneg

reneg Member

Jun 19, 2002
    You may have to invest more time and effort to get the desired end results. If your end target is burning DVDs, you might also consider VideoRedo TVSuite in combination with Tivo Desktop or KMTTG.

11. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for joining the discussion!

Burning DVD's is the last thing on my mind right now. That's merely an open ended extra I may consider later on. The priority is to transfer the shows from the Tivo box to my computer successfully.

If there is even a half decent means of transfer, that would be ideal since KMTTG and Tivo Desktop speeds resemble 1990's dial-up. The KMTTG utility is an example of too much of a good thing. The plethora of functions and options only create more possibilities for failed attempts with a multitude of errors to encounter, diagnose and correct. The media player unfriendly .mgp format is counter productive, requiring encoding which only increases file transfer failures.

13. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

14. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015

15. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Let's back up.

1) If you are just downloading a .tivo file(with no other conversion), then download speeds should be more or less comparable between all of pytivo, tivo desktop, and kmttg. If they aren't, there's something amiss.

2) Where are you getting ".mgp" from? I'm not familiar with it. If you ask kmttg to decrypt, then you should get a .mpg(MPEG2) file, which is a very popular standard(albeit, it's an older standard and neither suited to nor well-supported by mobile and modern streaming devices). kmttg can *optionally* transcode to more modern codecs, like h.264/mp4. You could also use many other transcoding tools to do this step, once you have vanilla mpeg2.

I also haven't experienced many (any?) issues using kmttg to do simple tasks like transferring and decrypting many many files. These functions of kmttg are widely used and well-tested at this point. If you're having serious errors just transferring/decrypting, please post them because it could be something easy to troubleshoot.

16. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for joining in. The download speeds are comparable among the utilities. The problem is the dial-up like speeds of them. Should it take almost a half hour to transfer a 250mb file?

I already deleted the file made by kmttg. I'm in the process of doing another decrypt/transfer to verify. I tried Windows Media Player but it had major problems playing the file. Attempts to convert it to WMV or MP4 resulted in sound only files as if MP3 was selected (it wasn't).

The first attempt failed but the error message seems to have been erased after closing the program so I don't know which one it could have been. The "captions" box was checked, so I unchecked it and the second attempt worked despite the snails pace for transfer. The odd means of having to launch the program with a .jar executable is also unusual. A kmttg "lite" version without the countless options and selections littering the utility would be most welcome.

17. WhyTivo?

WhyTivo? New Member

Apr 26, 2015

Aren't some of the paths redundant? What is the File Browser? I don't understand "the file browser to start from" option. I assume the QS fix, mpeg cut and encode fields can be left blank?

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The limiting factor on transfer speed is the TiVo itself (not to mention the immense size of the files). You're not going to see any improvement by changing software, nor by using the web interface.

That sounds like a PEBKAC issue.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You have some other problem in your environment if it's taking half an hour to transfer 250MB (I'm very curious what show you have on your TiVo that's only 250MB in size)? My ancient S3 OLED transfers a 30 minute HD show which is approximately 2GB using the free version of TiVo Desktop in 20 minutes (1996MB according to TiVo Desktop). My TiVo is hardwired but I was transferring to a Windows 8.1 laptop that's connected with 802.11n wireless.

What model TiVo do you have?

Scott

20. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Transfer speed is dictated by the series tivo device you are using and your network speed.

Using a Roamio basic and wired ethernet network, kmttg normally achieves 85 to 90 MB/s. Transferring 6GB hour long shows in a few minutes.

ALL file transfer methods available will result in a mpeg2 file of some sort that will not be playable by WMC in some versions of windows as MS decided to drop mpeg2 support. (it can be added or use a different player).

Kmttg also gives you the options to transcode to other formats that your devices or pc may find more easily used.

Step by step, start kmttg, click one of the tabs corresponding to your tivo device, select a show. At the top, select decrypt only, and start the job.

Let us know if you get any errors. Play the.mpg file and let us know if it works or there are any problems. We can point you in the right direction.

If your player cannot play an mpg file, get one that does, you are going to need it working with a tivo. ANY tivo. VLC is a great option that fully supports most mainstream formats.

kmttg and pytivo are the state of the art and community developed. As they don't cost you any money, I would suggest you invest a few minutes time to learn to use them rather than badgering the authors expecting them to custom tailor to your desire not to invest any time to learn. Lots of users and the software authors are here to help if you ask nicely.