1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We need a "letterbox" search category to go with "HD"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gwsat, Jul 1, 2007.

1. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I believe that the “HD” search parameter that was added to the Category Only WishList selection in version 8.3 of the software for the S3 was a huge improvement. Alas, it does nothing for those of us who want to find programs, which, although not in HD, are presented in letterbox. Although 16:9 SD isn’t in a class with HD, it’s a whole lot better than 4:3 SD, it seems to me, especially for movies.

I did a little research before I posted and learned that the old DirecTiVo apparently had a search parameter for “Audio & Video” and a subcategory for “Letterbox.” Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=308082

Thus, it appears that such a "Letterbox" parameter could easily be added for those of us who use S3s. I hope that TiVo is listening and gets it done.

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    You should post this here too.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Seconded.

Of course, the use of the "Letterbox" tag is even more erratic than the use of the "HD" tag -- lots of programs that should have it, don't, and there may even be a few that have it but shouldn't.

Bierboy: Your link shows up as "http:///" for me.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    For me too. Maybe Bierboy is trying to send the post out into never-never land.

5. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Yup we need letterbox.

We also need a much more advanced search engine/interface and/or swivel not to be so limited.

6. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, before I posted I found a movie listing on TCM, which didn’t mention letterbox but described a movie which I was 90% sure that TCM would show in letterbox format. The main reason being able to get this information is so important to me is my severe phobia against watching butchered, 4:3 versions of widescreen films.

7. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
  8. gwsat

gwsat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
  9. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I finally added it to my .sig, maybe if all of us hop on there we can see some of these features coming sometime soon. :D