1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We moved now I have a MoCA question?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mneimeyer, Jun 14, 2014.

1. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    We moved from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and switched from Verizon FiOS to Comcast. I know... lucky us...

With FiOS the modem had MoCA built in so it just worked with our Tivo Premier XL4 including using the TiVo to get Internet to the other devices connected to the TV (like our XBox and the TV itself).

With Comcast we don't have a MoCA enabled router so I'm a little confused about what I need. We have three rooms I need to service. The office where the Cable modem lives. The living room where the TiVo will be and the master bedroom where there is currently nothing. My better half runs a home business and wants to keep the modem in the office if possible.

If I put a MoCA adaptor in the office and in the master bedroom... Is it that simple? My concern is that, as I understand it, the "source" of the MoCA network would be the TiVo in the living room but the "source" of the Internet would be in the office.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Better ways to do this?

Thanks!

Matt

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Is there coax in the office? If so, you can connect a moca adapter to the router in there. That alone does the job that the Fios router was doing. They are the "source" of the moca network and internet access.

That's all there is to it.

You'll only need additional moca adapters for devices (if any) that don't already have moca built-in. The XL4 won't need one. The bedroom depends on what you put there.

A POE filter ($8 on ebay) should ideally be installed on the input side of the primary splitter to keep the moca signal inside your home. Wasn't necessary with Fios, but for cable it's a good idea.

3. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    I don't know where the cable actually enters our apartment... if I can find it I'll put a POE filter there.

In case I can't is there any security/encryption I can enable on the MoCA network?

Thanks again!

4. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    There is an encryption key setting available, at least on Tivo. Having never used an adapter, I assume they support it as well as part of the Moca standard, but I'm not sure. if it works like encryption normally does, enabling it will cost you some speed with the overhead. I have numbers to back this up, so it might only be 1% or it might be substantial... <shrug>

If you cant get the filter on your end of the wire, maybe the next time you see a comcast truck at your building you can get the filter installed at the other end of your wire at their distribution point.

There are actually three benefits to have the filter...

1. keeps your signal from leaving your house (security).
    2. Keeps neighbors Moca signals from coming into your apt. (reliability/speed)
    3. Reduces the length of wiring that the moca adapters are trying to send their signaling down, improving quality. (again speed/reliability)